Limitations of this Holley carb (600 cfm)?

CarFreakGT

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 26, 2003
Louisville, KY
I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on this carb (link below) for what is currently a stock 302 roller block. It is currently a 2v engine, but I have a Stealth intake and am looking for a decent 4v to go atop. I may be able to get it locally for a pretty decent price ($125-150). Used ~ 2 months, and now he's going a different direction and needs a bigger carb.

It's 600 cfm, which is plenty for now. I'm curious about how much room to grow this carb may have. Future plans are for AFR 165's if I don't go stroker, 185's if I do. Will it be sufficient if I stay w/ 302 displacement? Or will I be pretty limited w/ future mods? Better off to save/spend a little more for a different model/brand?

It seems like a pretty good deal if it won't be severely limited in its application. If for some reason, I can't get it for that price, I'm not going to cry over it either. I'm not planning on big engine work in the near future, as I'm focusing on front end/steering. But, I would like to go ahead and at least get the 4v going by Spring.

It's Holley #80457. The link is a Summit catalog image of the carb I'm looking at, and the local one is not a reman.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...902726+4294902670+1051506942+115&autoview=sku

Thanks for any input!

• Sponsors (?)

I used that exact carb for about 5 years, on a variety of different intake manifolds. I think that this would be a perfect match for a Weiand Stealth, and on Holley's website they even list this is one of the ideal carb matches for that manifold.

I ran this carb on my 289 with AFR 165cc heads, and it was fine. People tend to over-carburate, and you don't need much bigger than a 600 or 650 even on a 302. If you stroke the 302 (to 331 or 347 I assume) and go with the AFR 185cc heads, than....yeah, this carb might be a little on the weak side. It's reliable enough for a daily driver, but can be used street/strip. If I was running a stroker 302 motor with AFR 185s, I'd probably go for a racier carb, like a Holley with screw-in air bleeds, a secondary metering block, etc (which the 80457S carb doesn't come with, but isn't needed on a mild build). But, if you stay on the more tame side of things, even with AFR 165cc heads, I think you'll do fine with this carb.

Good luck.

p.s. due to the modular nature of Holley's, even if you got this carb and at some later date wanted to go wilder, you could get a 34-6S secondary metering block kit so you could run jets in the rear as well, in addition to a whole host of other little mods with Holley parts that can essentially turn it into a different carb.