Limited Slip Differential

joagaro

Aug 9, 2006
Stupid Question but does my 00 GT have a LSD. Just bought the car and the original owner told me it had an open diff. I though all newer mustangs came stock with limited slip. If the car does have an LSD then the clutch packs must be worn because it does 1 wheel burn outs. If this is the case, can anyone recommend replacement clutch packs or a whole new performance diff. Also what is the factory axle spline (28 or 31) and gear ratio?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah you had limited slip from the factory.. They must be blown out now..

There is two rebuild kits available..

1. for about $44 you can get a 8.8 LSD rebuild kit that you have to measure the shim adjustment yourself.. I like this kit because it comes with many shims and you can set it up tighter..

2. for about $100 ford sells the new updated 8.8 rebuild kit that comes pre shimmed.. as long as you don't mix the contents of the two bags then you just drop them in..

Plus you will need a bottle of XL-3 modifier to soak the clutches in before you install them.. let them soak for at least a half hour. Then you will need another bottle of xl-3 to put in when you refill it unless you buy royal purple that already has the friction modifier in it.

Ohh almost forgot.. the fluid is 75-140 synth.. and if you use a fluid without the modifier I suggest you under fill the diff slightly and put in a little bit of the modifier at a time until it stops chattering around corners. If you use too much it will cut down on the limited slip effectiveness.

svttech76 said:
Yeah you had limited slip from the factory.. They must be blown out now..

There is two rebuild kits available..

1. for about $44 you can get a 8.8 LSD rebuild kit that you have to measure the shim adjustment yourself.. I like this kit because it comes with many shims and you can set it up tighter..

2. for about $100 ford sells the new updated 8.8 rebuild kit that comes pre shimmed.. as long as you don't mix the contents of the two bags then you just drop them in..

Plus you will need a bottle of XL-3 modifier to soak the clutches in before you install them.. let them soak for at least a half hour. Then you will need another bottle of xl-3 to put in when you refill it unless you buy royal purple that already has the friction modifier in it.

Ohh almost forgot.. the fluid is 75-140 synth.. and if you use a fluid without the modifier I suggest you under fill the diff slightly and put in a little bit of the modifier at a time until it stops chattering around corners. If you use too much it will cut down on the limited slip effectiveness.

hey if you were to get the ford rebuild kit, would that mean installing gears would become a DIY process(since most work youre charging a shop for is the brainwork of shimming them right)?

thomas91169 said:
hey if you were to get the ford rebuild kit, would that mean installing gears would become a DIY process(since most work youre charging a shop for is the brainwork of shimming them right)?

no not really.. the clutch shims are to shim the limited slip clutches and don't have anything to do with the carrier shims and the pinion shims that adjust the ring and pinion in place.. You do not have to reshim the carrier or pinion when you do the clutch packs. It's really not that hard to do either of them if you have the tools and take your time..

the pre shimed clutch paks are really easy.. all you do is remove the s-spring and then pull out the side gears the shims and clutches are right behind them. the hardest part is putting the s spring back in.