Little help with exhaust options please

wrathchild

Founding Member
Apr 5, 2000
Altoona, Pa
I am coming from always owning a fox body and I find myself confused when thinking about exhaust for my on order 2012 GT.

I am looking at getting the hushpower catback exhaust and longtube headers. I am not set on a brand but they will be 1 7/8".

Now my confusion. This is what is shown with the 3" hushpower cat back system.

flo-819112_5600.jpg

Do I need anything else other than a set of long tube headers to connect to that cat back system?

• Sponsors (?)

Just beware, the hushpower sounds more like a glasspack when you start removing resonators, cats, etc. I ended up replacing mine with a borla s-type axleback and it sounds awesome. I've got the rest of the catback (x-pipe and over-the-axle pipes) waiting to be installed. It purs with the hushpower and roars like a lion with the borla s-type. It's the closest I could get to the sound of my 2001 with o/r x and super 44 flows.

The exhaust setup is still basically the same as on a foxbody, except the mufflers are behind the axle, so its possible to just do an axleback rather than a whole catback. Also on the 2011 you have the resonators, but those would be replaced by the catback. If you go longtubes, you need a shorty x or h pipe.

I have an '11gt. I installed the corsa Xpipe and mufflers, using the stock mid-pipe. They work as advertized with respect to noise reflection. Loud when you punch it but purrs at 2200 rpm.

My car has factory headers so why replace them? The 2012 will have them too on the coyote engine.

just 2 cents

Just put in an X with high flow cats in and keep the stock mufflers. It sounds very good in my opinion. Louder than stock on idle but a beast when standing on it. I had a custom True X fabbed abd used pypes high flow cats to directly replace the stock cats. No problems with the O2 bungs what so ever.

I too had several aftermarket set ups that droned like all get out. If I only knew then what I know now, I would be 900 dollars wiser.