LMR coil over kit

• Sponsors (?)

The 83 has a narrow k member. It causes some minor clearance issues with coil overs. It's a piece of metal in the strut tower that needs to be bent. The brake lines brackets also need to be moved. Very easy to do. My UPR coil overs came with a tool to bend the metal. I didn't need it though.

Coil overs feel way better than stock suspension.

I can't speak to the particular ones you linked, but honestly for that money I'd say just do a Maximum Motorsports front coilover setup, and new rear dampers to match. The rear "coilover" part of that package is nothing special and I'm not sure about the quality of those dampers. But you also didn't state your goal for the suspension or how you will use the car... so it could be just fine, or it could suck and be hard to recoup the money from if you change directions.

I can't speak to the particular ones you linked, but honestly for that money I'd say just do a Maximum Motorsports front coilover setup, and new rear dampers to match. The rear "coilover" part of that package is nothing special and I'm not sure about the quality of those dampers. But you also didn't state your goal for the suspension or how you will use the car... so it could be just fine, or it could suck and be hard to recoup the money from if you change directions.
Street driver that runs well. Grocery getter... I like your idea, but 800 dollars for two front struts is ridiculous

Last edited:
I’d be leary of the SVE stuff for something that important to the car. You get what you pay for with those type of components IMO.
For a grocery getter, I wouldn’t switch over to coil overs. Just find some decent name brand struts and springs and call it a day.

Reactions: 2 users
Can't remember what car rag I read it in (old timers ) but they put a similar kit in a Fox and had good luck.
I think it was the same set up but from some other brand, really cheap like $600.

Ok it was Motortrend Oct.8th 2014. The brand was raceland.
Now give me my money.

Last edited:
One of the reasons to go with front coilovers is I am too old to get hit in the head by a coil spring......

Reactions: 1 users
Can't remember what car rag I read it in (old timers ) but they put a similar kit in a Fox and had good luck.
I think it was the same set up but from some other brand, really cheap like $600.

Ok it was Motortrend Oct.8th 2014. The brand was raceland.
Now give me my money.
check is in the mail....

Reactions: 1 user
I checked Raceland and they have two kits available for foxes, I'm interested.
I would not go with racelands. A friend had a set on his Volkswagen and one of the struts came apart after a year. The company did warranty them without issue, but I’d spend a little more and get a better quality set.

Coil-overs are one of those things where you do get what you pay for.

The lower end products aren’t going to ride as nice or last as long. They will be noisy as well. These are your SVE and Racelands.

IMHO you are better off getting a quality strut and spring, like H&Rs than a low-end coil over kit.

I have 18 way adjustable QA1 coil overs in the rear of my 87 GT and straight up 18 way adjustable QA1 struts in the front with a modified Tokico coil spring. A get compliments all the time on the stance of the car but it also rides really hard. That is one of the trade offs. But I love the look, and it’s not my daily, so no big deal.

I have 18 way adjustable QA1 coil overs in the rear of my 87 GT and straight up 18 way adjustable QA1 struts in the front with a modified Tokico coil spring. A get compliments all the time on the stance of the car but it also rides really hard. That is one of the trade offs. But I love the look, and it’s not my daily, so no big deal.
Most of my research says that the geometry created by moving the springs to a Coilover system makes for a much better ride and handling,, Can I guess you have a high spring rate on your coil overs?

I love the ride of my MM coil-overs BUT, I only have them in the front. Out back in running conventional springs. (H&R) with Bilstien all around

This was a recommendation from MM. I’m running 250# springs, which translates to a great ride but the spring rate wasn’t high enough for the rear coil overs. It still handles damn good.

I think I had to get up to 325# front before I could have added the rear coil-over setup.

Don’t get me wrong. The car handles like it’s on rails. And it’s only gonna get better because I have a complete Flaming River Power Steering rack kit ready to go in this spring. As I get older, especially now with my bad neck and back from a bad auto accident, I feel everything.

I love the ride of my MM coil-overs BUT, I only have them in the front. Out back in running conventional springs. (H&R) with Bilstien all around

This was a recommendation from MM. I’m running 250# springs, which translates to a great ride but the spring rate wasn’t high enough for the rear coil overs. It still handles damn good.

I think I had to get up to 325# front before I could have added the rear coil-over setup.
Yes MM says stay conventional on a SRA until you're at or near race spring rates... I did all four corners as coilovers as I have the IRS in the rear and went fairly aggressive on the spring rates knowing I'd give up comfort on the street but gain in handling.

I’d be leary of the SVE stuff for something that important to the car. You get what you pay for with those type of components IMO.
For a grocery getter, I wouldn’t switch over to coil overs. Just find some decent name brand struts and springs and call it a day.
Agreed. I’m pretty happy with the Koni orange shocks and struts on both my Fox (on stock springs) and my 2014 GT (lowered).

Economize by purchasing high quality suspension parts the first time around.
Use the Maximum motorsports set of front coil overs.
I stopped shopping for any other brand suspension parts quite a while ago.
In the long run it saves time and money.
You know it's quality, you know all the parts work together and you have the support necessary should you have any questions.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users