long tube header guys come in

dragnazz5.0

My "0" key d0esn't w0rk, s0 I have t0 use the zer0
Nov 19, 2005
mooresville, nc
well im looking for a set of long tube headers. not really looking for anything expensive. the most expensive i would get would be bbk off of ebay for like 240. what are you guys running and does anyone run the hooker long tubes or flowtech headers. i dont really want slip fit headers either so as long as they arent slip fit lets see what you got.

• Sponsors (?)

I am running a set of BBK 1 5/8" primary LTs. Just put them on about a 2 weeks ago. Everyone says how much of a pain they are to install but they weren't that bad. Sure there is more work to putting them in than with shorties. I had to disconnect the steering shaft, pull the starter and jack up the passenger side of the engine.

I got mine off the classifieds at Corral for $250 shipped for the LTs and O/R H pipe. So I figure I got a pretty good deal.

With the flowmaster dumps that were on it before any drone that I had went away when I swapped to the LTs. I swapped the flowmasters our for a set of dynomax bullets and the car has a nice raspy sound at idle and absolutely screams when you get on it. Very happy with the set up I have now. I don't think that my neighbors can say the same.:D

I have the flowtech Lt's. They are the type that slip on. I hate these things because they are always leaking. I have taken them off twice trying to reposition them. Definitely go with the one piece.

I am looking at the BBk's also.

If you use slip fit I would weld or solder the joint when you put them on. Havn't heard of anyone using them and not havin them leak... sold some a set of bassani because I didn't want to mess with it.

I got some ceramic coated bbk long tubes, were not that hard to install. I did remove the starter, I would recommend putting in a mini starter when you replace it because of clearance issues /w the long tubes & heat (ask for a starter of a '93 mustang at vatozone). I didn't have to remove my steering shaft, but I did have to unscrew the motor mounts and jack the engine up 1-2 inches to get the driver's side in. Passenger side just slipped in.

I have a pair of 1-3/4" Mac longtubes. While they bolted to the heads fine, I had clearance issues on both sides. On the driver's side, I had to buy a Flaming River steering shaft because the rag joint on the factory shaft was hitting the tubes and prevented the steering wheel from turning. On the passenger side, I had to buy a smaller FORD starter ('93 Mustang unit) as my early FORD starter was too large. The $329.00 headers turned out to be almost $550.00 when I was done buying extra crap. Now that they're installed, I haven't had a problem with them since. It just would have been nice to know beforehand that I would be spending a lot more money to make them work.

I have MAC 1 3/4 lt's too but i had no problems at all it took me about an hour on the install and have had no leaks at all. I love the sound with my prochamber and magnaflows too. i would reccomend them for anyone.

WilwoodFiveO said:
I have MAC 1 3/4 lt's too but i had no problems at all it took me about an hour on the install and have had no leaks at all. I love the sound with my prochamber and magnaflows too. i would reccomend them for anyone.
You installed LT's...not to mention 1-3/4 LT's in an hour....!!! hey no offence my brother but I can turn a wrench pretty decent and can say nothing in response to that but crapola

i got bbk's and the only problem i had installing them was have to lift the engine on the pass. side.

i've had them on 2 different cars and i didn't have any clearance issues with steering shaft, starter or any thing else.

I bought the summit racing brand long tubes. $96. Didn't think they would be too quality of an item, but I'm very pleased with them. I also installed them in about an hour.
(I've worked on cars professionaly for a while, and also some of the most annoying ones MBZ and BMW's So I can turn a wrench pretty good...Whatever) They are the slip-fit, split flange type. No leaks.

nidyanazo said:
I bought the summit racing brand long tubes. $96. Didn't think they would be too quality of an item, but I'm very pleased with them. I also installed them in about an hour.
(I've worked on cars professionaly for a while, and also some of the most annoying ones MBZ and BMW's So I can turn a wrench pretty good...Whatever) They are the slip-fit, split flange type. No leaks.

To the original poster...don't assume going in that your going to have these installed in an hour, guys who've stated it's been done are obviously a little more practiced than most. They are a great addition, they are a pain to intall (except the gifted), they will likely take the better part of an afternoon to get in and snugged.

well yeah if i decide to get them its definetly gonna be an afternoon project because my car has a custom x pipe that is fully welded up which i will have to cut down just so i can get the headers in and than i will have to have it welded back up

The Summit 96.00 header will work just fine!! remember you are not a race car needing all the perfect numbers and bends.. and with an exhaust stuffed on the headers you loose even more... the bennifits of these mandural bent equal length headers are truley lost on a street car!! I would look into the summit or even Jegs brand headers!!

Just me...............................

Thumper