Longevity of 408 Stroker

01ragtop

May 20, 2004
San Diego
I am finally getting to my 66 coupe, and while I currently have a 302 with about 10,000 miles on it under the hood, I would like to drop in a 408 stroker. I got a price estimate from Coast High Performance: $9,000 with 2yr/24,000 mile warranty. The engine is blueprinted and balanced with a steel crank, and AFR heads. It is complete "ready to run" from air cleaner to oil pan.

Two questions

One. Are there any opinions of the CHP engine builds? I did a search, but the only guys that seem to be using these engines are in the 5.0 forum. I didn't really find much there even. What I did find was mostly good.

Two. What is the longevity of a stroker? This will be a street car that will occasionally find its way to a road course. And of course the need for some spirited driving runs in my blood, but Daily Driver duty is a must. I would like to drive this car to work 2-3 times a week.(mostly highway) If I drive it nice 90% of the time, is a 150k miles out of the question?

As far as other things that would affect longevity, when the stroker goes in so will a tko600. I was thinking with this much HP and Torque I could run higher gears. Maybe you all could weigh in on this as well. I am thinking 3.55s???

Thanks
Dan

PS: I have been lurking in here for a long time with very few posts, but the search function and a great deal of you members have helped me quite a bit, even if you didn't know it. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You should take these questions over to *******dotcom. Woody on that page is the go to guru for strokers. They only live to race. However, with what you've said, you should have no problems.
But go look there to ease your mind some.....
Hmmm... how about S B F techdot com.

You should take these questions over to *******dotcom. Woody on that page is the go to guru for strokers. They only live to race. However, with what you've said, you should have no problems.
But go look there to ease your mind some.....
Hmmm... how about S B F techdot com.

Thanks for the link. I have learned a ton over there so far, and they have just about talked me out of a 408 all together. Starting to look like a 347 is in my future.

I was never dead set on the 408. It was reccomended to me by Coast HIgh Performance.

I did a lot of searching and reading over at SBF before I posted a question similar to the first post in this thread, and it turns out I can reach my stated goals, and have engine longevity with the 347..... IF it is built right.(true for just about anything)

Plus, I kinda already new, but they confirmed that a 347 will be easier to drive on the street.