look at my dynos, need help please!

greg97svt

Apr 24, 2003
LOOK at my DYNO, need help please!

Guys need help here. Look at my dynos, it's so toothy but it should be smooth. Dyno #3 was with C&L meter and I noticed my A/F was too lean 14:1.
So I switched back to stock air meter, changed my old spark plugs to autolite platinum and replaced stock wires with 9mm ford racing. I even took my car to the different dyno shop (I thought dyno itself was wrong). Look at dyno#1 A/F ratio is good now, but the graph is still spooky. What the hell? I know for sure that is something wrong, cause a year ago when I dynoed my car it spun 285 rwhp and the curve was normal I mean smooth.
Anyway, it's '97 cobra. Engine all stock, no chip. The only mods are: magnaflow catted x pipe, borla catback and pullies. The car drives excellent no vibration and no check engine light.
Maybe my stock coil packs worn-out?
Please help me, I'm desperate!

• Sponsors (?)

Smoothing was set at zero on both graphs. But that's no excuse. The guy who is running the shop couldn't explain it either. He said he never changes smoothiness level, leaves always at "0". He showed me other cars' dynos and they all looked good, not like mine. At first he thought my engine was pulling back timing, but we couldn't hear any knocking or detonation. My timing is stock. I never had no chip or any timing adjuster.

looks lean to me too ,check fuel pressure at higher rpms,
and what grade fuel were you running when you ran on the dyno?
check/change your fuel filter if you have a lot of miles on your car.
did you dyno your car after you did the pluges and wires ?

if I were you I would swap out those Autolite platinums for either regular autolites, motorcraft, or NGK's. looks like you have a spark issue. also check to make sure your motorsport wires are not touching each other since they are known to arc out and jump spark.

by any chance did an earthquake rip through the area of the shop you dyno'ed at??

It's not lean

Guys, it's not lean anymore: http://forums.stangnet.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28518
13:1 is perfect. Again, please read my posts completely and you'll see that it was lean before, but not anymore. But still, that doesn't fix my problem. And the spark plugs are not the cause: I tried NGK iridiums and Autolite platinums, still all the same. And the wires are brand new and no touching each other.
I'm just tired to throw my money away at parts. Again, drives good, and no detonation. So WTF??

greg97svt said:
Guys, it's not lean anymore: http://forums.stangnet.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28518
13:1 is perfect. Again, please read my posts completely and you'll see that it was lean before, but not anymore. But still, that doesn't fix my problem. And the spark plugs are not the cause: I tried NGK iridiums and Autolite platinums, still all the same. And the wires are brand new and no touching each other.
I'm just tired to throw my money away at parts. Again, drives good, and no detonation. So WTF??
Knock sensor is pulling timing.Could be ****ty fuel,or that garbage C&L jacking with the EEC's load calculations.Spark advanve is related to load....
Seen it several times before.
JL