Roush Looking at a s351-need help

nitro

Mar 13, 2003
I have been looking for a clean, low mileage s351 that has not been modded or tore up to much. I have found this 98 http://www.performanceautosport.com/detail.asp?car=5871
what do you guys think. I know there are a lot of saleen experts on here and was hoping someone could help me find the right one. I own a 99 s281 now, but really would like to buy a s351 preferably a 99 or 00, because I think they will be much more valuable someday, but would settle for a very clean 97-98 car.

• Sponsors (?)

Do some searches here in this forum for the S351 and S351R or S351 R Code.

That silver car on Mark's site is a beauty. You can find 94-95 cars priced all over from the low 20's to the mid 40's. The 96 cars are few and far between. The 96-97 cars and up were all supercharged from the factory and had a fuel and tune upgrade more commonly known as the 97 upgrade. It actually was more of a fix since the 94 and 95 cars were tuned on the edge of disaster. That is the reason why most 94-95 cars have had their motors rebuilt.

$43k for that silver car is a bit pricey even for only having 9,000 miles on it. Be prepared to pay mid 30's for a nice 10,000 mile or so 94-95 S351 R-Code. The R-code was the package from Saleen with the blower and brakes. The T code is not blown. Also, if you are looking for collectability reasons try to stay away from a car that now has a blower but did not come that way.

The 96 and up cars are OBDII and have a better tune, fuel system ans so on but are not bullit proof by any means. Anyone who buys an S351 should always have it on the dyno at least once before they really drive it to see what;s going on.

Also, a powerpipe does wonders for this car.

Prepare to spend in the mid 40's to the low 50's for a new edge 99-00 S351 that has it's original parts and has not been beat on. Also, take your time. The perfect S351 takes a long time to find. Don't get frustrated and settle and do your homework. The guy who buys and S351 should always have some professional help to reduce buying a dud. It happens all the time.

Marcus, I have been visiting these forums for awhile now and was hoping to hear from you. I am really familiar with saleens and the s351, but your help is greatly appreciated. I was curios if anyone nows of this car personally. I also thought the price was high, I was thinking it should be in the high 30's. What are your thoughts on the sn95's versus the edge cars, both performance and value as a collector. The car will be driven no doubt if I buy one, just wondering how much more the edge cars will be worth in any. Thanks, Mike 99 s281 #132

I have owned a few S351 cars over the years. I bought a white non SCed 95 S351coupe from Mark at PAS and then I sold if for a triple black 94-0011 S351R Speedster that was upgraded by Saleen to 96 specs. They were great cars!

I also think the silver car on PAS is a bit high, but from what I understand that was the only silver 94-98 S351 that was produced. I am sure some of the high price reflects this rare combo.

It really depends on why you are buying the car before I would tell you what to purchase.

If you are looking for something rare to put away and take to shows every now and then I would look at the silver 98 at PAS and the yellow SR too

http://www.performanceautosport.com/detail.asp?car=5840

If you want something that has the bugs worked out of it that you can drive without too much additional depreciation I would check out the white S351R coupe on PAS
http://www.performanceautosport.com/detail.asp?car=5839

I think the new edge cars will bring decent money in the future, but I am not a huge fan of the styling. I don't know if my opinion is in the minority or majority, but everyone has their favority body style.

Take your time on the S351's as you want one that has been pampered. I have a S351 Speedster with 56,000 miles - all original and was just judged at 998 points out of 1000 (Darn dust around the lip of the trunk lid!). On that note of value - it is a note of supply and demand. I am thinking it is only a matter of time where sellers will be adding another $10,000 to the price of their car. Although no one would pay it, I would not sell my S351 Speedster for $100,000, simply because it is not for sale and my intentions are to keep it. This would mean one of the less than 100 S351 speedsters that will never be for sale. I also know quite a few other collectors that will not part with their S351 Speedsters so I am unsure how available these cars will be in the next few years as they are selling very reasonably right now. $50,000 for a one of a hundred car now adays is CHEAP! You can't buy a new sports car with production numbers in the tens of thousands for that price.

The Sliver 98 is one of one in that color. The price I would say is based some on the rarity and the low miles. It does look to be bone stock. In my opinion it is priced at retail for those reasons. If you want something that you can enjoy and for it to be collectable then the silver car would make a good car. Mark has a few others that would also fill that void. There is also a 96 floating around that is pretty cheap. It has miles and seems to have a few mods. Nothing that couldn't be unbolted though. Just depends on what you want. As stated above, the prices on these cars will start to go up in a few years.

Thats for the info guys. I guess I am mostly looking for something rare that I like the style of and would drive and show some. To me, and it sounds like to many others, the s351 is hard to beat. :D

If you want something that has the bugs worked out of it that you can drive without too much additional depreciation I would check out the white S351R coupe on PAS
http://www.performanceautosport.com/detail.asp?car=5839

I spoke with Mark over there a couple weeks ago on this car and it, and another currently listed, have since been sold or are off the market.
Looks like he may not be updating very often.