Looking at buying this car. How much should I pay?

dcstang67

May 26, 2008
I am looking at buying this car, but I think hes asking too much for it. Here is the description and a few pics. What would you pay for this car?

1967 Mustang Fastback project car. Can be made into a Shelby, Eleanor, or Bullit clone. Body shell with doors only, rust removed, new metal installed and bodywork done. Has all interior wiring. Comes with rear axle. No front end parts. This is a T code 6 cylinder car.

3nf3ke3oa5Oc5P25R79c6caf9dbc8d2be1c32.jpg

3k73p53l75Q75T55R09c685995185aa201334.jpg

3k03p83of5Tb5Pa5R99c6750360cc0ab218c5.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Others may think its worth more, but there is not much there, so I personally think its worth about 1k. Thats cool that the rust has been taken car of though, so maybe its worth a little more. How much are they asking for it?

He is asking $6500. It might be worth closer to that if it was a big block car or something that was more rare than a 6 cylinder fastback. I am trying to get an idea on how much to offer him. I figured between $2000 and $3000, but I feel even that may be insulting to him. He is never going to get $6500 for it.

I couldn't see spending more than 2k on it. I can get a coupe in the same condition for a few hundred bucks.

Does it come with any other parts?

Is the rear end reworked with traction lock and gears?

I would kill to get a coupe in that shape for a few hundred. I live in Iowa and my budget gets the metal that the rust left behind. What part of TX could a guy like me find a solid coupe for a real good deal? I have siblings in DFW so a road trip would be cool.

You can get a solid 65-68 coupe here for about 2-3k that is a complete car but needs to be restored. This means that the paint, interior, and drivetrain need work. I'm in central TX, but the area of the state probably doesn't matter much.

Dynacorn sells their reproduction bodies for $15,500, they come with the deck lid and doors.

and those dont come with a vin # either.
does that car have a good title? if everything is straight and rustfree i think that could pull 4-5 g's . remember replacing body chassy metal can easily run upwards 3g's is materials alone. it looks like it has already been stripped/blasted thats over 1g right there.
i bought my fastback for 4500 and it had 3900 in new body parts and it still needs some more. making a car straight and rustfree is not cheap.

In my opinion that Dynocorn reproduction body is way over priced.

My friend got a nice driver 65 fastback that has minor body damage and minor rust issues for 8k. It will probably need a complete repaint when these issues are taken care of though. It does need a little mechanical work, but it is in good shape. I would say its about a 5 or 6 on a 1-10 scale.

You can get a solid 65-68 coupe here for about 2-3k that is a complete car but needs to be restored. This means that the paint, interior, and drivetrain need work. I'm in central TX, but the area of the state probably doesn't matter much.

I already have a 66 coupe 289 4sp, p/s, disk brake car, but it is RUSTY! I have been gathering panels for it, but now I am thinking if I could find a rust-free or at least a lot less rust rolling shell for a reasonable price, then I would probably go that route instead. I don't mind replacing some rust, pounding out a few dents, but I don't want to rebuilt everything under the roof skin. What kind of deals are there for what I am looking for? Around here, the cheapest I found so far is 3K and it needed quarters and floors at least.

Sorry for the hijack!