Looking for a trans cooler

jeffnoel

Founding Member
Aug 31, 2002
Clovis, CA
Well we're in the 100s now and it looks like it's here to stay for awhile. Can anybody give "Good" advice on selecting the right size trans cooler?

I know bigger is better but your trans does need some heat to work efficiently. The car is my wifes DD the 02GT mostly stock but sees alot of alot traffic as she's in sales and puts 2-300 miles aweek on the car. Heck with the Autometer coolant temp sensor in the block between 3 & 4 water temps hover around 230 in town when it gets this hot. And I'm just lookin to prevent a premature meltdown.

• Sponsors (?)

well that B&M kit i bought has been working great ever since i got it and it comes with most of the hardware needed to do the install and its on that link that McTeague put a couple of post back

P.S has been doing a great job now that it's been getting hotter along with the 180* T-stat really keeps the temps down

jeffnoel said:
I liked your how-to thread but I'm still looking for info on how to go about choosing the right cooler, not just someone saying buy this one and you'll be fine.

well it is based on BTU's(or something like that) the more fins it has the more cooling efficiency it has but you dont want to go too big on a cooler also.....

edit: here is a link i found that somewhat explains it

http://www.bmracing.com/noflash/products/acc_tranCoolers/superCooler.html

I can't find any info on that link, just a description of the cooler on the page.

What I really want is maybe a chart or something that shows vehicles/use/hp on the side then maybe trans cooler capacities across the top you make your choices and find were the 2 point meet and walla there's the proper cooler for your application.

Well I ended up gatting a Tru-Cool model rated at 24,000 GVW. It's a stacked plate type and its dimensions are 23 x 4 x .75. I'm planning on mounting it in the lower grill opening so it resembles an intercooler. My Fluidyne radiator should be here tomorrow or Tuesday, so I'm planning the install of everything next weekend.

Here's what I got.

View attachment 455268

Price wasn't the reason I bought it, I was looking for a certain size that I could mount in a way that would mimic the look of an intercooler. The B&M I'm sure is a fine cooler but it wouldn't provide the look I was going for.

The piicture above isn't the correct one for the cooler I got that pic is a cooler rated at 40,000 GVW. The one I got is the same width but half as tall.

san~man said:
Summit racing has the B&M 28,000 cooler. Most use that because it has all the parts you need. The "race" cooler I believe doesn't.
Yeah I went with the 28K one, I believe when i researched the race cooler there was no bracket because it was more for a custom car setup

jeffnoel said:
What I really want is maybe a chart or something that shows vehicles/use/hp on the side then maybe trans cooler capacities across the top you make your choices and find were the 2 point meet and walla there's the proper cooler for your application.

jeffnoel said:
Well I ended up gatting a Tru-Cool model rated at 24,000 GVW. It's a stacked plate type and its dimensions are 23 x 4 x .75. I'm planning on mounting it in the lower grill opening so it resembles an intercooler. My Fluidyne radiator should be here tomorrow or Tuesday, so I'm planning the install of everything next weekend.

Here's what I got.

View attachment 455179

So why did you end up getting this one? Where's the Pie Chart and Capacities, HP use etc???