Looking for a Tri-ax install "how-to" - Post links

apk1971

Jul 28, 2003
Upstate NY
I was looking for a link for a tutorial for installing a tri-ax. A search of the forums was pointless. I received way too many unrelated items.

Please post links to any how-to's you all know of.

Thank you...

• Sponsors (?)

apk1971 said:
I was looking for a link for a tutorial for installing a tri-ax. A search of the forums was pointless. I received way too many unrelated items.

Please post links to any how-to's you all know of.

Thank you...

Take off shift knob.
Remove shift boot and bezel (it just spaps out)
Remove rubber dust boot 8mm socket I think.
Remove 4 bolts that hold shifter in maybe 1/2 inch or 13mm
put a thin layer of rtv ontop of transmission
Bolt new shifter in.
put trans in 1st gear and adjust the bolt until it just touches the handle when it is fully in gear.
Put trans in 2nd gear and adjust the bolt until it just touches the handle when it is fully in gear.
Put the dust boot back on
Put the leather boot back on
Put knob back on
Go beat the hell out of it.

billyfe390 said:
Take off shift knob.
Remove shift boot and bezel (it just spaps out)
Remove rubber dust boot 8mm socket I think.
Remove 4 bolts that hold shifter in maybe 1/2 inch or 13mm
put a thin layer of rtv ontop of transmission
Bolt new shifter in.
put trans in 1st gear and adjust the bolt until it just touches the handle when it is fully in gear.
Put trans in 2nd gear and adjust the bolt until it just touches the handle when it is fully in gear.
Put the dust boot back on
Put the leather boot back on
Put knob back on
Go beat the hell out of it.

He's pretty close, although I would make a few changes..

-You'll need 8, 10 and 13mm sockets along with a ratchet and extension.

-The plastic shift bezel pops out in three locations, the 10, 2 and 6 o'clock postions if you're looking directly down at the shift knob. use a small bladed screwdriver.

-The shock shifter can be hard to get out. Temporarily reinstall the old handle to give ou some more leverage on it. Get a rubber mallet and whack the top a few times. Pull up on that sucker pretty good and wiggle it side to side, you'll get it after a minute or two.

-there is a little plastic cup that sometimes come off with the stock shifter. Its located in shift box of the transmission, and the circular end of the shift rod sometimes pulls it out with it when you yank out the old shifter. MAKE SURE you don't loose that and that its left sitting in the shift box. Its obvious where its supposed to go. Its the only cylindrical opening inside there.

-Make sure to scrape off all the old silicon sealant with a razor, and TAKE YOUR TIME!! The seal is a very important part to get right, so go slowly and make sure not to drop any crud in the shift tower.

-When andjusting the stop bolts, allways leave at least .020" gap[enough to easily slide a sheet of paper folded over] in between the stop bolt and the shift rod. Do this for ALL GEARS. Not just 1st and 2nd. The stop bolt and shift rod should NOT be touching when its in gear normally, but if you pull really hard on it, it should just barely [and I mean barely!!] touch.

I think thats about it.. I can scan in some official steeda instrucion, but they suck as far as images go. You're kinda left on your own to interpret them.