Looking for clutch recommendation's

Well I just ruined my 2nd centerforce DF so its time to try something new. Car is a 89, tremec 3550(10 spline), h/c/i s trim 475 rwhp at 92 degrees. I was really looking into the astro stage 3 setup, very reasonably priced and can handle 600 hp. Ive heard mixed reviews about spec, and some good things about RAM 900 series. Car will prob only be at the track afew times a year but will see 5500+ launches, but still hooks hard on the street. Also need to figure out something for a flywheel because I think that also have something to do with my problem, looking for a billet steel just not sure what brand. Stock bottom end so 50 oz is needed. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

yb.dll

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb...~S26V17YIXZ68898331825a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000016a

damn. beat me too it. if ya want a good clutch but there a little more pricey get a fidanza clutch. i had one in my 300 rwhp 96 gt and abused it badly for a little over a year and its rock solid still. best clutch out there IMO

With that power you are near the Dual Friction power capabilities.

I would start looking at a custom set-up.

I called centerforce and they told me they are only rated for 400 flywheel :shrug: , I always thought it was more myself.

BK_CAULEY- Not trying to be rude, but theres a big difference in power here, but I will look into those clutch and see what they are all about!

I know they have been known to hold more, but take their word for it!

I believe Paul (killercanary) knows a couple places for nice clutch set-ups with knowledgeable people:nice:

I called centerforce and they told me they are only rated for 400 flywheel :shrug: , I always thought it was more myself.

BK_CAULEY- Not trying to be rude, but theres a big difference in power here, but I will look into those clutch and see what they are all about!

oh i know there is 475 vs. 300 i was just saying there quality and reliablity are good. not that my clutch will hold your power. i have a lower ranked fidanza clutch and its held out ALOT longer than a crappy king cobra did.

Clutch ratings, 400hp etc. , are not Dragracing spec. If launching at 5.500rpm, and use slicks/drag radials , the 400hp spec are far gone..
Fidanza as mentioned are a good choise, If street driving quality is important, no shatter etc, its hard to find something that would be street / strip compatible, if running a 450+ lb-ft engine.
After chewing clutches a couple of years, I now use a Mcleod pressureplate, RAM 6129 disk, and RAM alu SFI fywheel. Some shatter occours, yepp, but it hooks, and I can drive It in town without to much shatter problem.
The 900 series Ram, good choise.
Another important thing are : If you multiply your first gear ratio and your effective ring gear ratio, you should have a "value" higher than 11. ( 3300pounds car )
Ex, 2.95 x 3.73 = 11,00. If you use a bigger tire, ex 26.5", your gear ratio is only
3.60. My car has a raceweight at 3520, so I need a value around 11.5 (add 0.5 for each 200pound raceweight ) 2.87 x 4.10 = 11.76
Running 3.55 rear, bigger slicks, and launching at 5000, the clutch would really take some beating. Just Me.

ps, you may know It, but have a look into Ram Clutches homepage, there are some driving tips inside, regarding burnouts etc. Nice to know.
http://www.ramclutches.com/Clutch U/cl_u_10.htm

Clutch ratings, 400hp etc. , are not Dragracing spec. If launching at 5.500rpm, and use slicks/drag radials , the 400hp spec are far gone..
Fidanza as mentioned are a good choise, If street driving quality is important, no shatter etc, its hard to find something that would be street / strip compatible, if running a 450+ lb-ft engine.
After chewing clutches a couple of years, I now use a Mcleod pressureplate, RAM 6129 disk, and RAM alu SFI fywheel. Some shatter occours, yepp, but it hooks, and I can drive It in town without to much shatter problem.
The 900 series Ram, good choise.
Another important thing are : If you multiply your first gear ratio and your effective ring gear ratio, you should have a "value" higher than 11. ( 3300pounds car )
Ex, 2.95 x 3.73 = 11,00. If you use a bigger tire, ex 26.5", your gear ratio is only
3.60. My car has a raceweight at 3520, so I need a value around 11.5 (add 0.5 for each 200pound raceweight ) 2.87 x 4.10 = 11.76
Running 3.55 rear, bigger slicks, and launching at 5000, the clutch would really take some beating. Just Me.

ps, you may know It, but have a look into Ram Clutches homepage, there are some driving tips inside, regarding burnouts etc. Nice to know.
http://www.ramclutches.com/Clutch U/cl_u_10.htm

Thanks for the info. I gave ram a call yesterday and liked what I was hearing about the 900 series, its basicly the ONLY clutch I havent heard mixed reviews about.

I am surprised a CFDX failed. I have had 3 stick stangs with them. MY current Cobra is making 414RWHP and I have driven it for over 10,000 superchraged miles. Many many trips to the track...(40-50 passes) No probs. Do you have a 10" right now? Try upgrading to a 26 spline 11". IT might be time for an 11" with that much power. Go to SVT tech and as kthe 03-04 Cobra guys what they are using.

I am surprised a CFDX failed. I have had 3 stick stangs with them. MY current Cobra is making 414RWHP and I have driven it for over 10,000 superchraged miles. Many many trips to the track...(40-50 passes) No probs. Do you have a 10" right now? Try upgrading to a 26 spline 11". IT might be time for an 11" with that much power. Go to SVT tech and as kthe 03-04 Cobra guys what they are using.

Its currently a 10.5" disc, but theres plenty of companies including centerforce that make 10.5" that wil hold the power Iam making now. Iam 95% sure Iam going with the ram 900 series setup with a billet steel flywheel.