Looking for Ignition Switch plug / pigtail

68rustang

Jan 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Does anybody know where I can get a replacment plug for the ignition switch? When I gutted my car I thought I kept all the wiring in a box. However I have moved twice since then and I fear it may have been misplaced. I am replacing all the wiring with a universal wiring kit and only need this plug. More specifically I am looking for the plug that plugs into the back of the ignition switch for a 68.

It is Sunday so I can't call around and nobody lists it online.

Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

I can get one. In the mean time I found this on Mustang unlimited's site. It shows the plug I am looking for on the right side of the pic,it also shows the switch which I do not need.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=SW1054+01&Category=&catkey=EMUSTANG

SW1054-B.jpg

I will call them in the morning and see if just the plug is available separately. If it isn't available does anybody have an extra one?

Attachments

• SW1054-B.jpg
    SW1054-B.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 163
So far I am SOL. Laurel Mountain (my preferred vendor) only sells the switch and the pigtail together for $51.95. Not horrible but I don't need the ignition switch.

Napa, no luck.

Northcoast Mustang Supply (local here in Cleveland but they cost too much) is trying to find me a used one.

Mustangs Unlimited is checking into it for me. If it is available it is not a part they have listed in their system.

As of now it looks like I am going to have to spend $50 bucks plus shipping for a stupid plug :(

That was a good idea. I called and talked to a Sergio (or something) and he showed little to no interest in helping me. He claimed they didn't even have the part until I told him they sell a harness that includes it. Then he just said no. I have followed up with an email hoping to get somebody different.

Painless Tech support is pretty good

OK I sent an email to Painless and somebody on the other end actually cared, unlike the guy on the phone. They said the OEM style plug is no longer available. But what they do for their harnesses is use "bullet" type connectors. I had some laying around and they fit perfectly. Pictured below is what I came up with:

ign_pigtail_1.jpg

ign_pigtail_2.jpg

I will replace these with an actual plug if I ever come across one but it looks like this should work in the meantime. I had to expand the plugs slightly in order to make them fit but now they are nice and snug and have good contact :)

67 is a different switch, 68 and 69 are the same. If your has the pins sticking out it should work. I used the 16-14 AWG Bullet type connectors. For the small pins I used the Male side, for the two large pins I used the Female side.

Is the ignition switch passing all the current for the car minus what is routed to the starter through the relay?

Mustangdave,

somebody over at www.mustangsteve.com directed me towards www.autokrafters.com they have the 68 ignition switch and plug listed for $19.95. Much better than the $50 I have seen everywhere else. I tried to look for a 67 but the search function was hanging. The 67 has regular "spade" connectors on it doesn't it? You might be able to convert to a 68 switch and plug. For $20.00 that might be something to look into.

Just FYI.