Looking For Rims For 5 Lug Swap On 87 Mustang

Hey guys. I have a 87 GT T-top that i was going to convert to 5 lug using the kit from LMR.com. I was just going to get the kit that leaves the rear brakes drums but converts to 5 lug. I found a set of SVE 03 Cobra rims which I think would look great on a fox body but the fronts are 17x9 with 245/45/17 and the rears are 17x10.5 with 275/40/17. the stock rims on the car are 15x7 so I don't know if a 10.5 rear rims will fit... Any help is appreciated thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I've been out of the scene for a while, but I know 17x9's are tricky on the back especially needing to pay attention to wheel backspacing and axle lengths. I think 10.5's are going to be out of the question without serious body modifications.

To my knowledge 10.5 will mean loss of quad shocks...beating the area inside the wheel well with a sludge hammer and ....cutting the fender edge off or rolling it.

I know people have done it but I've never been able to do it because of the double layer of metal in the rear. It was easier for me to take a cutting wheel to it and seam seal it. ( that was on a drag car with slicks )

I wouldn't dare butcher one of these cars like that now.

The offset of the wheels will be very important. The guys at LMR can tell you if they'll fit your set up and what you'll have to do to get them on.

SN95 wheels don't sit the same as foxes because of their wider bodies.

I have 10.5 rear rims on two of my foxbodies. No cutting, no beating, fit no problem. Only needed to flip the quad shock over. My rear tires are 275/40/17 and my other car has 275/40/18. The key is you have to have fox length rear axles. If you swap in a rear end from a 94-up you will have some fitment issues.

20160312_160243_zpsmirywkph.jpg

20160312_160219-2_zps4f9vnfc1.jpg

Chris

Reactions: 1 user
You won't be able to run the center caps on the front wheels with that setup. The dust cover on the rotor protrudes too far.

FYI, that setup is just SVO front rotors and ranger drums and axles. Last I checked the rotors and drums were about $20 each, and I'm sure you could get axles for less than 300

Reactions: 1 user
Why would you run a 275 on a 10.5" wheels seems unnecessary. I have 295 on my rear 10" wheels with Fox axles and had to roll fenders, quads were long gone by then and do a bit of BFH inner fender adjustments. None of this was needed when running 275s In my experience tire size and ride height ( how much is the car lowered ) are more of a factor than rim width

You know, my rims might be 10.....not 10.5. I have not been sleeping.....for days (no it's not drugs, it's work) so I probably am not thinking straight........but I do agree tire size and ride height are the major factors.

Either way the back of my car still looks sexy...a half inch can't make that much difference. (Fire away boys...)

I'm running ROH ZS wheels with my 5 lug set up. 17x8.5 front and 17x9.5 back with 275's. I'd recommend saving up some more and doing a proper 5 lug set up with disc all around.

Reactions: 1 users
You won't be able to run the center caps on the front wheels with that setup. The dust cover on the rotor protrudes too far.

FYI, that setup is just SVO front rotors and ranger drums and axles. Last I checked the rotors and drums were about $20 each, and I'm sure you could get axles for less than 300

So I have had the car for a little while and just have been enjoying it stock. I need new tires and a brake job so i figured i would try to do the 5 lug swap and kill two birds with one stone.

I looked at the 5 lug swap sticky and figured that kit would be easiest and most cost effective. its just going to be a cruiser not a stip car. the 4 wheel disk kit was like $2200 and while im sure the car would rock i don't think i can afford that! I know i can find junkyard parts but just being honest fellas I don't think I am anywhere near skilled enough to pull that off and i have a 7 month old baby at home so time is limited.

my main goal right now is to get the car to a point where i can safely enjoy it again and eventually in the future when i have more time (that's how it works with kids right lol?) maybe switch over to 4 wheel disk. im thinking i might just pick up a set of the stock buillett wheels and slap those on for cheap just to get it rolling again. don't really want to do any crazy mods just yet maybe in the future.

I have 10.5 rear rims on two of my foxbodies. No cutting, no beating, fit no problem. Only needed to flip the quad shock over. My rear tires are 275/40/17 and my other car has 275/40/18. The key is you have to have fox length rear axles. If you swap in a rear end from a 94-up you will have some fitment issues.

20160312_160243_zpsmirywkph.jpg

20160312_160219-2_zps4f9vnfc1.jpg

Chris

did you use a kit for you 5 lug swap or piece it together? car look sick man