• Community Forums
  • The Welcome Wagon

Looking forward to collaborating with my new community

  • Thread starter Thread starter phil2001svt
  • Start date Start date Thursday at 5:08 PM

phil2001svt

Member
Sep 24, 2026
5
8
13
AZ
Thursday at 5:08 PM
#1
  • Thursday at 5:08 PM
  • #1
I had the fortune (or misfortune as has been thus far) of buying a purported low mileage 2001 Mustang Cobra from one of those big traveling classic car auctions. I did this on impulse (I know, lesson learned) as an "older gentleman" trying to feel younger. It didn't take long to realize someone has swapped the cluster - didn't show turnback but CARFAX shows only 1000 miles registered in 10 years prior to a "refurbishment" in 2022. It seems that the PCM only stores the actual register value from the cluster as that is all I read from my scanner. All of the major components show wear more consistent with >100-150K miles rather than the 14K indicated. I have spent the last several months getting the car driveable (new fuel pump, steering rack and shaft, lots of light bulbs, and repair of various missing/cut hoses and lighting wiring) but it is still nowhere near done. I looked into legal channels but guidance received from legal counsel was it will not be worth my hassle through fed anti-tampering laws and civil judgments typically have no leverage to actually get paid. So, I am trying hard to enjoy my purchase having 10-years owned an SN95 that was my "dream" new car purchase in 2001. I just don't want to invest too much money into a car where I have already paid ~10K more than it's worth (based on KBB value for 14K vs 150K miles).

I will be soon be posting my latest concern (consistent P0133 and P0153 errors on a stock setup with fairly new O2 sensors) to one of the specific forums and look forward to some collaboration with my peers.

Cheers!
Phil
 

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,498
5,489
194
Corn County USA
Thursday at 9:23 PM
#2
  • Thursday at 9:23 PM
  • #2
Welcome to !

Sorry you got conned, but if it's something worth it to you it can be somewhat overlooked once the mechanical problems are remedied. As I'm sure you're aware, as most of us are, that cars are horrible investments (unless you're a con man....) so what's done is done. Enjoy it for what it is and have some fun with it!
 

phil2001svt

Member
Sep 24, 2026
5
8
13
AZ
Friday at 9:41 AM
#3
  • Friday at 9:41 AM
  • #3
Thanks! I did some more diggining on the interweb yesterday and decided to buy new upstream O2 sensors. Since my car is using a qt of oil every 800 to 1000 miles, the AI mechanic from Google tells me that it's likely early lifetime failure of my sensors. I don't know how old they are, nor do I know what brand (4 for $40 Amazon treasures?). I just know they are too shiny to be originals. I'm trying to keep my costs down so I can focus on the needed transmission rebuild expense. I will start a thread if my troubles continue.

Cheers,
Phil
 
Reactions: DadLife0724

DadLife0724

Active Member
Mar 22, 2024
356
241
53
Cooperstown, PA
Friday at 2:07 PM
#4
  • Friday at 2:07 PM
  • #4
Can we at least get some pictures of this money trap?
 

phil2001svt

Member
Sep 24, 2026
5
8
13
AZ
Friday at 4:45 PM
#5
  • Friday at 4:45 PM
  • #5
I'll have to take some. All I have is pics from the auction. They have been good to me - refunded my buyer's premium so I don't want to sully their name. I'm busy doing retired things right now.
 
Reactions: gkomo and General karthief

DadLife0724

Active Member
Mar 22, 2024
356
241
53
Cooperstown, PA
Friday at 8:26 PM
#6
  • Friday at 8:26 PM
  • #6
phil2001svt said:
I'll have to take some. All I have is pics from the auction. They have been good to me - refunded my buyer's premium so I don't want to sully their name. I'm busy doing retired things right now.
Click to expand...
Can't say I blame you there.
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,047
10,666
213
polk county florida
Friday at 9:00 PM
#7
  • Friday at 9:00 PM
  • #7
In that situation that's the least a reputable auction should do, a quart of oil that often requires some investigation, compression test, is it valve seals or rings, or is it just leaking, if it's fouling the O2s, smoking and stuff that's a concern.
You up for an engine swap or rebuild?
If there is definitely proof of cluster change without DISCLAIMER that's a federal law I believe. Yeah good luck with that.
 

phil2001svt

Member
Sep 24, 2026
5
8
13
AZ
Friday at 10:03 PM
#8
  • Friday at 10:03 PM
  • #8
I haven't done compression tests. It was initially smoking from pass side upon start-up which is a sign of the classic valve seal issue with these engines. I added some bars leak to the oil when I changed it and that smoke ended. Pass side o2 sensor was sooted up a bit. If I can get a few thousand miles out of a pair of Bosch sensors, that's cheaper than a major engine job. I'm not up for a swap. Auction offered me a free entry if I fixed it up and wanted to sell it. Jury's out on that for now.
 
Reactions: DadLife0724 and General karthief

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,498
5,489
194
Corn County USA
Friday at 11:31 PM
#9
  • Friday at 11:31 PM
  • #9
May not necessarily need an engine swap but sounds like it definitely needs new valve seals. I'm not sure how involved that is on a 4 valve, but it should be a lot less costly and labor intensive than an engine rebuild or swap. That may just save those sensors as well unless it has bigger problems....
 
Reactions: General karthief

phil2001svt

Member
Sep 24, 2026
5
8
13
AZ
Yesterday at 3:58 PM
#10
  • Yesterday at 3:58 PM
  • #10
Here's a pic of this beauty. Yes, it looks really nice from the outside, particularly when it crosses an auction block, but I digress... The interior is equally nice. It is "under the skin" where all of the ugliness lives. One step at a time and I'll arrive at my destination of a reasonably good toy car.
 
Reactions: DadLife0724, LILCBRA and General karthief

DadLife0724

Active Member
Mar 22, 2024
356
241
53
Cooperstown, PA
Yesterday at 7:56 PM
#11
  • Yesterday at 7:56 PM
  • #11
I mean, you got a damn good base to start from man. Just a shame you had to come into it the way you did.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
339
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
G
New Owner: Very Clean 1991 GT Convertible. All original with 21k original Miles. How to make it better?
  • gvanginkel403
  • Oct 30, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
31
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 17, 2025
Jarhead67
J
S
New member 76 Cobra II Owner
  • svassh
  • Apr 10, 2024
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
11
Views
2K
The Welcome Wagon May 1, 2024
Blue Thunder
Thinking of looking at this 67 coupe. Looking for some opinions.
  • billison
  • Aug 11, 2024
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Aug 28, 2024
89ripper
H
New kid on the block
  • HydraX
  • Mar 22, 2025
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
17
Views
897
The Welcome Wagon Mar 22, 2025
HydraX
H
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Community Forums
  • The Welcome Wagon
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?