Looking into buying this mustang. What do you guys think?

TheOdessa

Jun 12, 2011
Hey guys,
Recently landed a nice job so I am in the market of getting my dream car... a mustang GT. Don't want a new one, but a decent one with low milage and manual trans. I stumbled across this stang. Not only is the seller only 2 hours from me, but thus far looks like a good deal. Mods are already done that I'd want. My question is, what do you guys think about it? Any red flags that come up?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001...8?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3cb8b25d3a#v4-43

• Sponsors (?)

Only one picture of one side of the car? For someone who has REALLY spent the cash on his car and claims its the bees knees his pictures for a selling advert are wank.
In saying that, you can`t tell how good a car is from a picture. A picture can make a $hit car a winner. IF and thats a big IF here, if it was me going out to buy my `dream car` I`d buy the right one. The last thing you want is your Mustang bubble burst because you`ve bought someone elses problems.
I`m not saying the cars a bad car. It might be a good one. Its an advert and you have to decipher as much as you can. I wouldn`t buy a `picture`. See first, drive, then decide.
Its up to you mate. Personally I`d buy a stock unmodified low mileage car. Ok, they look bland and are sometimes `overlooked` but they`re far less likely to have been abused and as such you can add the bits and pieces you want. I`m not saying I`m right and someone else is wrong because my car is modded and its driven sedately. Just in general, that advert to me reads "Had a right ragging". The guy has tried to get as much power out of it as he can. How many rolling road runs has it had as why is he selling?

I bought mine with 19k miles on it and totally stock. The old guy kept it on a garage on a cream carpet. It looked $hit , like a right 4x4 but i saw potential in it as mechanically and bodily it was perfect. Not eveyones idea but thats me.

best of luck whatever you do .:flag:

You're right about the wank ad. That's why I was posting people's opinions because the AD lacked pictures. Not to mention the guy hasn't got back to me yet when I shot him an email.

I went to the gym and thought about it. I figure this guy stroked and poked this motor out and probably ran it ragged. I think I just may pass on this deal and look for something more stock. If the ad had some more TLC to it, I may have thought about it more. Anyway, until I get one, I'll be around! Glad to be part of this community.

The ".30 OVER BORE" stood out to me. May be BS. Very rare mod for our cars, especially for an NA car where you havent had a reason to break into the motor. You usually see blown 4.6s, not bored. Not sure I buy it...
Someone who had really done that much work could likely sell it to some other mustang nuts that they know instead of an ebay listing with no reserve.

The ".30 OVER BORE" stood out to me. May be BS. Very rare mod for our cars, especially for an NA car where you havent had a reason to break into the motor. You usually see blown 4.6s, not bored. Not sure I buy it...
Someone who had really done that much work could likely sell it to some other mustang nuts that they know instead of an ebay listing with no reserve.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not going to say it's not real, because from what I can see from the pics, it looks like everything listed is there.

I just wouldn't buy a car before looking at it and taking it for a drive on the highway.

If he does get back to you, ask the seller for the number of the shop that did the engine and dyno work. Ask if he has receipts. That will tell you a lot. If he can't produce receipts, best to stay away.

It is interesting that there are 12 bids on the car. They could be from locals who have actually seen the car and like it. Just because a guy writes a lousy ad and isn't handy with a camera doesn't mean the car is junk.

I would try to find something as stock as possible. I got mine bone stock. Its all part of owning a stang. Researching the parts, fitting the parts and truely making it your own. I'm sure other people with agree with me. We all know how it feels and you can be almost certain that noone on this forum has a stock car because they all got the 'mod bug'.

The right car will come along and when it does grab it and enjoy.

If he does get back to you, ask the seller for the number of the shop that did the engine and dyno work. Ask if he has receipts. That will tell you a lot. If he can't produce receipts, best to stay away.

It is interesting that there are 12 bids on the car. They could be from locals who have actually seen the car and like it. Just because a guy writes a lousy ad and isn't handy with a camera doesn't mean the car is junk.

The car's location is about 10 min from my house. I would assume that he would had the car at HP (local shop) as most guys take their 'stangs there.

I'd definitely shoot one of us a PM if you want an opinion about cars in the area. I've used almost all of the shops in the area since I got my Mustang. There are several in my area that I've seen around before and can tell if they were hacked together or beaten on heavily..

If you live in Odessa, that is like 20 minutes from where I live too.