Looking the 4 eyes?

I just got my spring issue of American Muscle and NOT ONE picture of a 79-86 four eyes. My first one was a 79 and now a 83 but every where I look I see the later ones. What is the reason that people seem to use the later body style for their projects. I had a chance at a very low mile mint 90 that came from out west. Just didn't do it for me, also the guy knew what I was going to do with it. It already had the 8.8 and the spoiler but the front end just turned me off. I know people love them BUT what makes someone chose one over the other?

• Sponsors (?)

I like them all. There’s some very well done cars in both styles, and also some bad ones in both.
I guess it all comes down to personal preference.
Coming from owning an 86 GT, and now an 86 LX 5.0 (that was converted to an aero nose before I bought it) I definitely wish I had a newer motor. My heads are the worst out there, and speed density limits your mods as well. So the head start that say, a ‘92, would give you, could play into preference as well. I’m gonna be out several hundred to switch to mass air before I can even start some of the mods I could just go right after with a newer motor. All that being said, I love the ‘86 I have, and will just continue to improve it as the funds allow.

But the 85 and 86 four eye front end is hands down the nicest IMO.

I think it's simply that the Fox didn't really come into its own in terms of performance until just before the aero noses debuted. People who grew up with these cars associate that era of performance with the 1987-1993 cars rather than 1979-1986.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't recall having many issues eeking some decent HP out of an 86. Sure the heads are junk but so are E7s. LoL They're just slightly less junk. Engine wise, with the same heads and upgrades, you can make a little more power with the same mods due to slightly higher compression. That benefit of course, is offset by the later models having notched pistons and able to accommodate larger heads with larger valves and more cam. The trouble is: Even this has its limits over the top of a stock bottom end. Otherwise, the pistons in an 86 are forged and the cast crank is rated for more than the block. :shrug:

A set of TFS a cam that's street friendly and all the normal crap you'd put onto an 87+, you can put onto an 86.

The next hurdle is 5 lug disk brakes... Still gotta swap the same stuff as 87+. Maybe the only thing that's harder is squeezing the brake booster in.

I kept my speed density to the bitter end. I didn't convert over to mass air until after my initial blower install.

The new motor made it necessary for me to go with something like a MegaSquirt or to convert to mass air and chip a stock A9L. I went with the latter.

I bough mine when I was a poor teenager. A stock 87+ EFI 5.0 just offered better performance off the showroom floor.

I personally wouldn't mind a clean 85-86 GT in my garage right now

I really like the 4 eyes, but I would have to get used to the dashboard. I like the seats. I think the 85-86 4 eyes look the best. The 85's were not EFI right? Just the 86?

Last edited:
Truth be known, if I were going to pick and choose my favorite mesh from all the Fox bodies it would probably be something like....

1989 LX 5 speed with a 4-eye conversion

I don't really prefer one dash much over the other but:
A little extra room behind the strut towers
Tilt wheel
No air bags
Engine well... that needs to come out no matter what year. :shrug:

Looking at my car, that was switched from 4 eye to aero, it’s definitley much more than just a nose swap.
Along with the obvious hood change, all my body side moldings were changed to the ones with the single wide stripe (86 had two smaller grooves). And my rear bumper cover was changed out as well. It now has the molded “mustang” in it, which I don’t think was available in 86. The reverse would need to be done going from aero to 4 eye if you wanted all the correct moldings to match around the car.
I guess my point in it all is that it can get pretty pricey in a hurry for cosmetics only unless you have a cheap donor car.

I really like the 4 eyes, but I would have to get used to the dashboard. I like the seats. I think the 85-86 4 eyes look the best. The 85's were not EFI right? Just the 86?
Correct just the 86 was efi
Actually,
actually.png
'85 5.0 cars equipped with an automatic were fuel injected, but it was Ford's terrible central fuel injection system, or CFI. This was the fuel injection system they used on 1983-1985 Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, and Town Cars. It's well known for being unreliable.

About the dash, I'm one of those weird folk that actually prefer the '79-'86 dash to the '87-'93 dash. I really like the cockpit theme they added in '85.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually like the 85-86 GT dash.

My introduction to fox mustangs was when I was 14, riding around in my friends 86 GT with grey interior, and a cheap spray paint white paint job. All I remember was the red guage lighting, and how fast that thing was.

One ride and I was hooked

I always liked a clean 4 eye. Especially if it has the lower manual window cranks. The dash was great. The position of the arm rest was way better than the newer ones for me. My wife liked it too....didn't hurt her ribs if she had to reach over it. The 82 gt has the best front end to me. Super aggressive and menacing. If I could find a nice cheap 4 eye car I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 1 user
I always liked a clean 4 eye. Especially if it has the lower manual window cranks. The dash was great. The position of the arm rest was way better than the newer ones for me. My wife liked it too....didn't hurt her ribs if she had to reach over it. The 82 gt has the best front end to me. Super aggressive and menacing. If I could find a nice cheap 4 eye car I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
I gots a cheap 4 eye you can buy, I have to cut the tree from the engine compartment before we can move it :rolleyes:

• Neat
this is actually the second time this plant has grown in there, I posted a long time ago about it when it was bigger, cut it down and it grew back, it will have leaves on it in a couple months, I'll keep you posted.:rolleyes:
20190208_121307.jpg

• Dislike