Looking to buy my first fox, have some ?'s though.

Foxlover

Aug 25, 2008
DeKalb, Ill
There is a 82-86 convertible mustang that has been for sale around where I live for over 4 years and I am looking to buy it soon. But I don't know if the convertibles were GT's or just LX's, (no I havn't gone to talk to the owner yet I'm trying to do some research first). Does anyone else know? Also since it's been sitting there for awhile and the fox has not quite yet become a collector mustang do you think it would be expensive and if so do you think that it would be easy to talk the guy down a little bit? If you happen to know could you fill me in? Thanks a bunch.

• Sponsors (?)

There is a 82-86 convertible mustang that has been for sale around where I live for over 4 years and I am looking to buy it soon. But I don't know if the convertibles were GT's or just LX's, (no I havn't gone to talk to the owner yet I'm trying to do some research first). Does anyone else know? Also since it's been sitting there for awhile and the fox has not quite yet become a collector mustang do you think it would be expensive and if so do you think that it would be easy to talk the guy down a little bit? If you happen to know could you fill me in? Thanks a bunch.

Can you snap a few pics of it for us?

I used to own an '86 GT vert. It was a great car except for the vert part.

Well an easy way to tell at a distance if it's a GT or not would be if it had the the design on the hood, right? Because it doesn't have that and it also doesn't have the 5.0 badge on the side. About the pics I will take some when I go to talk to the owner. It's a pretty dark blue. Oh and another ?, there is also another convertible for sale where I live and it's a 90 LX with a 5.0,(which I was gonna put in there if it didn't), which I like the 87-93 styling better. But my ? is which would be better to buy? They are both verts, which I would rather have a notchback, but this will do for now.

The earlier cars dont have the aero package on the GT models. But they do have the hood decal, GT insignia molded onto the quarter panel molding, and fog lights as dead giveaways. I would personally go with the 1990, as you will have more horsepower, along with EFI , an airbag ,along with many other design improvements (rear end, brakes, etc.). Parts for the earlier cars are scarce or expensive, whereas parts for the 1990 are more readily available and affordable.

The important thing is to have a mechanic, or someone who knows these cars go look at them both with you. You want to get the one that is the best car all round regardless of age

'86 GT vert
Pervertible03.jpg

Pervertible05.jpg

Well I don't think it has the fog lights either. I personally like the 87-93 styling better and would rather have the 90 because of the EFI and the fact that it already has a 5.0 in it. But the reason I'm looking at this 82-86 is because if it has something smaller then a V8 it will be less for insurance. Plus later on when I swap whatever it has for the 5.0 the insurance company won't raise the price because the vin number will still say it has something smaller then a V8, (this is what I did with my 92 Thunderbird). Plus I could very easily swap the nose with 1 from a 87-93 and swap the tail lights too. Oh and also I don't think I need a mechanic to go with me because I have been working on Mustangs since I could walk. But thanks for the suggestion. I went and looked at the 90 today and body wise it looks really good. The hood wasn't open so I don't know the condition of things under the hood. But I do know it runs because it's not always in the same spot. The only prob that I could see was the interior wasn't very good. But that's all easily replaceable. So I'm leaning toward the 90 but I don't know if I should rule out the 82-86 yet. Thanks for the pics by the way. Like I said I'll get you some of both as soon as I can. Thanks for all the help.

Well I went and looked at the 83-86, (thanks for clarifying that), and it's in terrible shape. So I don't think you will have to worry about me converting it to a 87-93. But I went and looked at the 90 LX 5.0 vert yesterday and all around it looks good, (minus the interior). Problem is that the people who just bought it have brand new plates for it that have only been out for a month and it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with it. But I'm going to call the owner tonight and see what the deal is.

Ahhh, verts aren't that bad. Let's see. I had to replace the top($1000), and the rear quarter window motor($90). It looks like I'm going to have to replace the right side latch reciever soon too. Lol.
It's a mustang. It will always need something. Whether it's something to make it go faster or something to keep it running. It's always something.

Haha! I agree with that. I'm sure I will never leave it alone. I really wish I could find a notchback because I've always wanted 1 and would much rather have 1 of those than a vert. I'm looking to get started in drag racing and the vert is just way to heavy and even the hatchback is heavier than the notchback. Plus I think that the notch just looks really good tubbed and lowered.

My plan is to get a notch and completely gut it out and use as much fiberglass body pieces as I can, (fenders, hood, nose fascia, trunk lid, etc.) and I even wana do the plexiglass windows all around. Hopefully that will be pretty light weight. Then it's all up to the engine to pull the weight thats left. Which hopefully will be a 5.0 all stroked and bored because I wana build a really fast Mustang with no bolt on power adders. That's the dream I'm shooting for.