Engine Loose Rocker Arms

Window

Feb 13, 2017
while i was cleaning my heads for new intake and valve covers i noticed a few of the rockers are slightly loose. what steps do i need to take to fix this? or should i just buy new heads/have these refurbished. its 2 from what i can tell and the movement is very slight. i didnt take a video of my car but the video ill link is identical to what im dealing with. maybe even less movement than his. here is the video.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FocV4qDfeM8

• Sponsors (?)

while i was cleaning my heads for new intake and valve covers i noticed a few of the rockers are slightly loose. what steps do i need to take to fix this? or should i just buy new heads/have these refurbished. its 2 from what i can tell and the movement is very slight. i didnt take a video of my car but the video ill link is identical to what im dealing with. maybe even less movement than his. here is the video.

The "wiggly" rocker arm happens to be at a location where the valve is CLOSED. Assuming you have hydraulic valve lifters (or even if you don't), that particular lifter has "bled down" a bit, losing it's contained cushion of oil. Upon restarting the engine, it will again fill with oil, and maintain zero-valve lash clearance. IF the lifter is BAD, it will not build up that oil cushion, and will click or tick like hell. imp

That would make sense. The only reason I'm taking the engine apart is to redo the valve covers and intake with the gaskets. I was leaking oil and anti freeze like a sob. I never had any issue with the motor running like ticking etc. Even with 245k as long as I kept refilling the fluids it runs like a dream. I just couldn't take leaking all over town anymore.