Loose Steering Wheel and Vibration

• Sponsors (?)

Ok people this topic gets over looked to performance stuff all the time. This is when some off us need real help. I've had this problem since i had my car (year and a half) and just cannot get rid of it. I've replace tierod ends,balljoints, rims and tires, wheel bearings, brakes and rotors.....and now i have a 15:1 agr rack and maximum motorsport solid steering shaft, but i've come to think this won't fix it so have decided to let the Dealership look at it and if it doesn't fix it then i'm selling it. I love the car, but i can't justify putting performance stuff on until the car runs right. Sorry this was long but this problem will frustrate the heck out of you. Someone with true suspension experience PLEASE help!!!! thanks

Hey Jessica. Long time, no talk to. Anyways, with the information you've provided, my first step would be an alignment. It sounds like there is a toe setting out of wack from the sound of it. Have you noticed any abnormal tire wear, specifically the inside or outside tread wearing more than the other?

The possibilities are endless, but if the alignment is good, it may not be stable due to bad wheel bearings, balljoints, or tierods.

As far as the unresponsive rack, it sounds like it's developed a "dead spot" in it. It's fairly common with our racks. Only fix is to replace it (rebuilding a rack is a PITA and usually not cheap).

Dan,

The steering shaft might be the problem but only if the rag joint is shot (the rubber plate mounted in the stock shaft). If the rag joint is good and the universal joints are in good shape, the solid shaft is going to make your problem worse (more vibration to the steering wheel).