Loose steering wheel

thebigcd89

Jul 16, 2005
Bellevue,WA
So i got an 02 coupe... got a problem with my steering wheel, i can pull it left to right about an inch without it affecting the steering (going straight, turning, etc.), so meaning it is loose... what should i do to tighten that up?

Any input would be appreciated, makes it a lil scary to be going 100+ when the steering wheel can be moved that much i like it feeling firm... makes it a lil too easy for the road to pull my side left n right since it doesnt affect me untill the wheel has been moved an inch or two...

thanks ahead of time guys!

• Sponsors (?)

You need some play in the wheel. If it's too tight you'll be all over the road. If it's pulling you might just need an alignment and while they are there they can check the tie rod ends and other front end parts.

Well i brought it in for my auto tech class, and found out it was the right tie rod ends, inner and outter are shot, when wiggeling the wheel assembly on the right it moves an inch or so, and the left is firm...

So I am going to have to replace my rack and pinion, the right side of it has a leak i believe too, some fluid is dripping... as you can believe this sucks!:mad:

thanks,
Casper