Lose fuel injectors

roldy

Jul 22, 2020
Missouri
I recently purchased some 80 lb Deka fuel injectors. They are being used with the Edelbrock Super Victor EFI Manifold and Edelbrock Fuel Rails. After installing the fuel injectors, and the fuel injector clips and the rails with the included hardware I noticed that the injectors are still able to move up and down. I have some feeler gauges and the gap as shown in the image is about 0.047". Do you guys experience any play with these injectors? I'm thinking I may have to make new hold down brackets with the hole moved down about 0.047".

20210419_182011.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

You're fine. Injectors shouldn't be clamped down on themselves, they're not going anwywhere and it shouldn't be a load bearing part. It's more important that the rail is firmly clamaped to the manifold. Usually there is a little bit of up and down play and they can be rotated if there's no indexing tab like on a 4V engine. The critical part is making sure that the O-rings are in good shape and are thoroughly housed inside the manifold's injector bore and fuel rail cup. I always use a little bit of vaseline to prevent the O-rings from getting damaged during installation. Then just enjoy the ride - it sounds like you've got a pretty serious motor for that injector size!

Reactions: 1 user
You're fine. Injectors shouldn't be clamped down on themselves, they're not going anwywhere and it shouldn't be a load bearing part. It's more important that the rail is firmly clamaped to the manifold. Usually there is a little bit of up and down play and they can be rotated if there's no indexing tab like on a 4V engine. The critical part is making sure that the O-rings are in good shape and are thoroughly housed inside the manifold's injector bore and fuel rail cup. I always use a little bit of vaseline to prevent the O-rings from getting damaged during installation. Then just enjoy the ride - it sounds like you've got a pretty serious motor for that injector size!
Good to know. I made sure to install the injectors using a little bit of oil on the O-rings. Brand new everything. I'm putting in a 351W stroker rated at 575 HP and a T56 Magnum. I wanted some fuel injectors that would allow me room to grow. I'll be looking into replacing the ECU now.

Very cool! Sounds like it will be a really fun ride! Street machine? drag car? Road race? ...or a little of everything? I've always wanted to do a 351 for my car, but just haven't had the time for it. I did a 351 install in a friend's '94 some years ago and was surprised how straight forward it is.

Oil works too for the injector o-rings. You should be totally fine.