Losing BIG power in hot weather, Not overheating

Just took a short trip to Vegas in my 01 GT with the Girlfriend and Two buddys I work with. Im currently stationed here in San Deigo where i purchased the car and was very happy with its performance. Anyway, Heading northbound on 15 just outside of Barstow I noticed the bogging down or just running real sluggish, thinking it was just from running the AC, and the increase in elevation I gave it no second thought. After letting the car sit over night and half the next morning, car is still runing like poo! So after being pissed and nervous that the car would kill over and die on the drive home i took her real easy. I did noticed no change in gas mileage and wasn't overheating! Just South of Barstow the car just magicly comes alive and sarts running as if nothing had changed!!! Im stupid stumped and have no idea what could be going on under the hood when the temp on the streets rise! Could the cats be getting clogged? Is the MAF going bad?

Any advice would be great for the next road trip we embark on!
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The elevation and heat will kill your seat of the pants feel. Over the holiday, I took a trip to CO. Springs and did some driving in the mountains. Very often, I didn't notice an uphill grade, but noticed I was using pretty much everything the car had at 1500 in 5th gear, and occasionally had to grab 4th.
I got back to KC with some cool weather and I was shocked how strong the car is now. :) Unless you could feel the engine missing, I would call it normal.