lots of smoke! is my 347 to much for a stock clutch?

87mustang347

Nov 4, 2004
well every since i got my car up and running again, and everytime i step on the gas a smell a real funky smell. im almost 100% it smells like clutch. now today i was looking out my rear view mirror and i was seeing smoke comming out from nderneath my car at 3k rpm crusing. ive also noticed that my car does seem like its a little down on power but that may be cause of a 24# maf w/ 30# injectors and its untuned. n e of u guys have any idea what might be goin on? thanx

jorge

• Sponsors (?)

i have a fuel guage thou and it reads 40psi. im sure it could be that but then why would the smoke be exiting from under the tranny and not from near the rear end or something. also, when i put my new shifter in, i took it for a drive to see how it worked but i didnt put the leather boot on it or any of that trim and i just tapped the gas while i was driving and a whole cloud of smoke came up threw where the shifter was and into my car. thanx for your responce though, ill take that into consideration :nice:

87mustang347 said:
i have a fuel guage thou and it reads 40psi. im sure it could be that but then why would the smoke be exiting from under the tranny and not from near the rear end or something. also, when i put my new shifter in, i took it for a drive to see how it worked but i didnt put the leather boot on it or any of that trim and i just tapped the gas while i was driving and a whole cloud of smoke came up threw where the shifter was and into my car. thanx for your responce though, ill take that into consideration :nice:

Still running the T-5? Unless you're babying that Tranny, it won't last on a 347 just like your clutch. If it's the Tranny, go to a Tremec or something stronger for sure.(Smoke isn't a good sign for the Tranny)

The t5 will last fine...

It definatly appears like a clutch problem...especially if it is stock.

Check for fluid leaks (like on your exhaust) like oil...

Good Luck

Yeah... your clutch isn't gunna SMOKE when you're "cruising at 3000 RPM".. It'll smoke if you stomp on it and it starts spinning, but not just cruising. Maybe check to see if the trans is leaking onto the exhaust. Check to see if the drain and fill plugs are in.

theres no oil leaking any where. i no that for a fact because my car sits for a couple of days at a time and i have nothing but card board under neath my car and i dont see any thing spilled on it. yes i still have the t-5 and it is fine. it doesnt make any noise, shifts smooth and thats it. the smell is kinda hard to explain. it smells like burning but at the same time is smells like clutch. o yah, and my clutch isnt slipping or anything, if i step on the gas the car goes like it should, i have an adjustable clutch cable and already checked it once when i saw the smoke and thought my clutch was slipping.

If the clutch isn't slipping, then it's not 'smoking'. The two go hand in hand. And if it's slipping bad enough to actually smoke, well, you wouldn't be driving the car for very long.

A good test for the clutch is to find an uphill section of road, and in a higher gear (4th or 5th) at lower rpm (2000 or lower) while going uphill, lay into the throttle hard. If the clutch has a slipping problem, you'll see the revs climb even though speed isn't increasing. And you'll smell it.

But if you've got visible smoke out the back, something else is going on --- almost always related to oil consumption or leaks....

5spd GT said:
The t5 will last fine...

It definatly appears like a clutch problem...especially if it is stock.

Check for fluid leaks (like on your exhaust) like oil...

Good Luck

I'd have to disagree there. The T-5 is a good Tranny, but if you are romping on them all the time, power shifting, etc. They won't last.

....yup. In fact, banzai launches with really sticky tires combined with repeated hard speed shifts with a mild 302 have torn up many a stock t5. 45 more cubes only makes things worse - under abuse.

However, if the car doesn't have traction, and isn't abused in launches or shifting, the t5 can hold up for a good long time behind the 347.

The t5 will be fine if he is "fine" on it...the way you stated it is that it will go no matter what...he didn't say anything about how he powershifts it all the time...I'm just putting down the post about how it won't last...mine keeps lasting strong and I'm pretty hard on it...

I drove my "smoking" clutch for a long time...it slowly got worse and worse...

Sometimes the low rpm test pull in 5th gear doesn't have enough power to "spin" the clutch...4th is better IMOat a lower rpm.

I just have to say T5 dont last long, also i have to say tremics are not all that either!!! i have a tko that was bought about not even 2 years ago well guess what i blew up third in it.... I hardly even power shifted the trans...
I have a 347 built by FPS

yah that mught be a good idea but then why doesnt it smoke all the time, and only at higher rpms. i wanna just some how get the car up in the air and step on the gas while its in gear but that doesnt seem to safe of an idea and i dont see how i can make that work