Loud banging engine

So I've had a ticking noise coming from my engine for about a week now and figured it was the passenger side exhaust manifold gasket or whatever. While giving half throttle up a street in first gear it changed to loud banging with the slightest crack of the throttle with the engine shaking. The banging sounds like an explosion, and I've gotten no engine codes while trying to diagnose the noise. The noise doesn't happen at idle, but the engine is running as if it's misfiring. Don't know what it can be, no compression test or anything done yet. My bet is the exhaust manifold is lifting and letting the exhaust shoot out, because it sound more like an explosion than a mechanical bang so I doubt it's rod or crank related. Any tips? Also will post a video upon request.

• Sponsors (?)

Stop driving it until you figure it out. A misfire, new vibration, engine shaking, etc suggests something more than an exhaust leak. Given your description, I'd first suspect something in the valve train. Happy hunting!

Did you check your spark plugs yet? I can't explain the no codes and an exhaust manifold leak wouldn't usually cause a rough running condition at idle, but the modular of those years has been known to spit out spark plugs......

Reactions: 1 users
Did you check your spark plugs yet? I can't explain the no codes and an exhaust manifold leak wouldn't usually cause a rough running condition at idle, but the modular of those years has been known to spit out spark plugs......
Holy heck that sounds like that could be exactly it! Cause when I give it a bit of gas it sounds like a damn explosion is happening, and nothing that comes to mind can replicate the db of the explosion besides the spark plugs scenario. Thanks so much for your knowledge and input, will post and update around5:00p.m. central time.

Holy heck that sounds like that could be exactly it! Cause when I give it a bit of gas it sounds like a damn explosion is happening, and nothing that comes to mind can replicate the db of the explosion besides the spark plugs scenario. Thanks so much for your knowledge and input, will post and update around5:00p.m. central time.

Yeah man, let us know how you make out. That spark plug issue starts out as a tick and then usually turns into a boom, so hopefully that's all it is. They make specific time-sert kits to repair the threads in the head. I've done quick a few them over the years and it's not a bad job. I would stay away from a heli-coil as the time-sert is much more durable.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah man, let us know how you make out. That spark plug issue starts out as a tick and then usually turns into a boom, so hopefully that's all it is. They make specific time-sert kits to repair the threads in the head. I've done quick a few them over the years and it's not a bad job. I would stay away from a heli-coil as the time-sert is much more durable.
Confirmed cylinder 3 spark plugs blew out. Ok so now I'll just buy new plugs, cause why not and a time sert kit. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: 2 users