loud noise coming from water pump area

1fast95stang

May 19, 2008
Has anyone installed a larger crank pulley on a 94 95 mustang i went with a 7inch pulley to get more boost and soon as i fired it up i have a loud noise coming from the crank pulley and water pump area. Pulled the new pulley off to look for damage wear it was hitting nothing. looked on the water pulley nothing. Fired the car up with no belt and it funs fine no noise. Just wondering if anyone had any advice. if my water pump was to go bad do they make noise. or has anyone had a clearance issue with a 7 inch crank pulley and stock other pulleys???

• Sponsors (?)

I forgot to say that it was an 7 inch ASP pulley not has anyone had problems with those

Assuming you are correct in that there is not an interference issue with the larger crank pulley I would assume that coincidently something else has happened. Noise (not described other than loud) may be from the water pump, harmonic balancer, tensioner, idler, or smog pump. With the belt off did you try rotating all the pulleys to see if there is any drag or resistance. Since the noise only occurs with the belt in place it has to be one of those items. Also check PS and A/C with the belt off.

If it is a metal on metal sound, then I'd say it's your belt tensioner slamming against it's stop and that all you need a shorter belt. Had this happen to me when I removed the smog pump. It was the worst noise I ever heard the engine make and made my hair stand on end. Came from the same spot you mentioned and is an easy fix if you can find the right size belt. I've read that others have ground down the stop on the tensioner to provide more clearance as well.

Good luck,
Jay

Sorry about not describing the noise its not constaint. but at first i thought it was one of my valves slamming into a piston its loud and its metal on metal. The belt is really really tight so i couldnt go any smaller. is there a chance that its too tight. The water pump spins freely when there is no belt on. I can rule out the power steering and AC because its in the middle of the motor. I was considering that the belt was to tight, would that make this noise

Your explanation is spot on to what I experienced. Watch the tensioner as the engine is running and see how far it's travelling. If need be stick a thin strip of playdough on the stop to see if it's hitting it.