Loud noise in rear when going over bumps?

• Sponsors (?)

If it didn't do it before the exhaust install and it did after, then it's probably to do with it. When you are looking at the exhaust clearance is the suspension loaded? Can you get someone to push the car up and down while you look at it? The upper control arms will in a sence, get shorter and longer as the suspension travels up and down and at static height appear not to have a clearance problem. Although when the suspension is compressed it will pull the control arm into the over the rear exhaust pipe. :shrug:

hotrodnut said:
If it didn't do it before the exhaust install and it did after, then it's probably to do with it. When you are looking at the exhaust clearance is the suspension loaded? Can you get someone to push the car up and down while you look at it? The upper control arms will in a sence, get shorter and longer as the suspension travels up and down and at static height appear not to have a clearance problem. Although when the suspension is compressed it will pull the control arm into the over the rear exhaust pipe. :shrug:
Agree,and look around the gas tank too.When the rear end hits the pipe it could be banging into the gas tank.Ther ain't much room under there for bigger exhausts.

hotrodnut said:

Thanks, hotrodnut, I think this exactly what I need to look into. I installed the exhaust using ramps, so it was at static height. I'll get one of my buddies to help diagnose the suspension.

myblkgt02 said:
What exactly was your 2 minute fix?
well, i have the SLP modular cat-back, so all i had to do was crawl under the car, loosen a band-clamp, re-position the section of tubing that was rubbing, and re-torque the band-clamp. problem solved.

im pretty sure the magnapack system uses band-clamps as well, just not sure about the regular magnaflow cat-back.

Most common reason for this is the pipes are hitting the gas tank-

Loosen up the system, take one hand and push the pipe away from the gas tank while at the same time tightening the system back up with your other hand-

will take care of the problem and should not take more then a few minutes-

My exhaust is the Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust for '99-04 GT with 4x9x14" Muffler, 2.5" Tubing, Rear Exit, 3.5" Tip. It connects with U-bolts.

Thanks for all your advice and comments. I am going to take a good hard look at my alignment and clearance tonight and will report back tomorrow on my findings and hopefully good news - that being no more banging! :D

good luck man. like i said, look really good at the over-axle tubes, and like the guy above you said, the gas tank as well. even if you dont see anything touching, if theres any part of the tubing thats pretty close to anything, try to adjust it out of the way as much as you can then take it for a test spin.

the biggest pita for me afterwards was trying to get my exhaust tips lined up again.

Problem Solved

Good news to report, after checking the exhaust clearance at static height and while pushing down on the truck, I found the problem: it was the left tailpipe hitting the rear sway bar. I also found that the left extension pipe was really jammed into the muffler, so once I corrected that issue, the alignment going towards the tips more or less fell into place. And as helty said, aligning the tips is a pita!

Thanks to all for your help! :D