Loud Ticking/Chirping Sound coming from engine.Need help.

WhiteThunder

Oct 16, 2005
Ok, when my car idles it rarely makes the noise but as soon as I put it in drive and start to drive around it starts making the noise.It sounds like a mixture between a tick and a really loud chirp and I'm clueless
and have tried every thing I can thing of. It makes the noise under load, so the more I open the throttle the more noise it makes (it's really bad in overdrive).I just had an accufab 70mmTB installed hoping it was the spring on my TB but it still makes the noise.Please help.Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I know one time I had chirping coming from my engine kinda in the same way as you. What it turned out to be was my belt. I sprayed some of that belt quieter on it until I replaced the belt. That solved that. Now for the tick, I am assuming you already checked the oil?

Yes I've checked it. I've put two new belts on it and changed the oil and still nothing...it almost sounds like it's coming from the pulleys.Is that a possibility and if so how can I fix it?

Thanks I tried it, it works for awhile so I'm sure that is what it is. Should I attempt to change it myself or should I have someone do it form me. I don't know how hard it is to change those, last time I did pulley work was on my friends z28 and they don't have tensioners.

Here is something to try.

Take off drive belt. Start the engine, maybe even drive it down the road. This will tell you if it is an accessory or not.

If the noise is gone, check smog pump, belt tensioner and maybe water pump.

Good luck

WhiteThunder said:
Thanks I tried it, it works for awhile so I'm sure that is what it is. Should I attempt to change it myself or should I have someone do it form me. I don't know how hard it is to change those, last time I did pulley work was on my friends z28 and they don't have tensioners.

Teh tensioner pulley is extremely easy to replace. I would recommend a j/y for another one. Just remove the belt, then the bolts that hold it on and replace. Be sure and practice on the j/y version that way you know how to do it when it comes to your own car and there will be no suprises.

OK...I replaced the tensioner assembly...now I cant bypass my smog pump(tried and snapped a belt due too rubbing of the belt). Problem is that it still makes the noise. The place I have all my stuff done was supposed to install a set of underdrives but it doesnt look like they did...just charged me for them. I have a new guy so yeah...back to the story. I'm confused as to what it could be.. A/C?All pulleys?lol...any ideas?