Loud ticking coming from car, Please Help!!

Blue Blurr

Apr 1, 2004
California
So as I go to pass this person, I floor the car and about half way through this incredibly loud ticking starts to happen. I pull over and the ticking slows down with the rpm. I go to back up and get off the street and it dies twice and I start it but I have to rev it up to get it moving. The ticking is increasing and decreasing with the rpm's. Once I get off the road I go look around and can't see anything that could be wrong with it. Having nothing else to do, I just drive home. On the way the ticking sort of dies down and stops, just like that. Does anyone have any idea what the hell this could be? I mean it started when I floored it and like just stopped suddenly, almost as if the piece fell back or what ever is making the noise. Some background info; the car has been acting up for a while, every once in a while when I would give it some gas the car would sputter and it would really change in sound, get really flappy and airy. This would only last for a few seconds and it would go back to somewhat normal. I thought it was a vacuum hose at first but it was still acting weird. Any ideas at all?? I am totally confused on this one. I know at idle my throw out bearing would make a little noise, but I don’t think this was the throw out bearing because the clutch still worked fine and it sped up or slowed down with the rpm.

TIA, sean

• Sponsors (?)

It could be several things. Hydraulic lifter going bad? Too much or too little oil? Do you have cams, vtp contact? Bad motor mount? It could even be rotor 2 rotor contact on your kb.

btw- This thread is over a month old. I'm sure he has found out the problem by know. Let us know what it was.

Kilgore Trout said:
YOUR SPARK PLUG IS LOOSE AND GETTING READY TO BLOW OUT OF THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God is that your answer for everything? :rlaugh: lol...no need to come to conclusions so quickly. Although, it wouldn't HURT to check the spark plug torque specs.

Could be the lifters. Could be an exhuast leak. If the sound goes away after the engine is warm, it's most likely the lifters. Since the sound is consistant with RPMs my guess would be an exhaust leak...

Possibly a spark plug, that would go with the drivablility issues as well. Possibly an exhaust leak, however that would not cause the car to die at an idle. Possibly a vacuum leak. I would start simple with what has already been mentioned before I take it any further. Did the SES light come on? If so what codes are you throwing?

my experience with mod motors has shown me a lot of timing chains hitting the guides. This would give your ticking, and your driveability problems. It is usually a tensioner that goes bad, and usually the right (passanger)side that has the problems. When I find one with this problem, I always relapce both chains and tensioners, and maybe all the guides. Dont forget to use cam lock tools if you plan to do it your self. 1 tooth off will cause valve to piston contact. First one I ever did wored out that way. Use a stethoscope and listen to the front cover. Hope this helps