Loud valve tick

jabGT

Mar 11, 2004
Michigan
I developed a tick it is very audible inside the car, but only when there is a load on the engine. Its really loud I originally thought it was coming from inside. I can hear the ticking when the clutch is in and in neutral when reving but not nearly as loud as with load. I checked for exhaust leaks but, found none. Has anybody had any experience with this? I haven't had time to pull the valve covers yet just wondering what to expect.

• Sponsors (?)

re.... tick

Hi, I was having a very similar problem.. was directed to check out the exhaust manifold gaskets (header gasket) or header leak.. I removed my full exhaust and there was a few small holes in my original stock headers. I am guessing that was the problem as it was just a hole in the right header and that is where most of the ticking was coming from.. Under load aswell. I think the ticking/squeeking noise is just the pulsations of the engine squeezing through that small header leak. So anyways I bought new bbk equal length shorties.. reinstalled my full exhaust. But I actually took on a few other projects at the same time.. Underdrive pulleys.. new 3g alternator... and battery relocation to the trunk. I got rid of my stock clutch fan so it won't be so hard on the water pump. The battery relocation kit came with the wiring but I actually cut a piece so that I could use a heavy gauge piece for the main wire on the alt. and ordered a new wire for the battery relocation. I guess that extra heavy guage auto wire will come in handy somehow!! I am still waiting for that to arrive... and a used lincoln mark 8 electric fan that I am going to put in. Ordered the wire on the 8th of march so it should be here any day {(7-21) day shipping}, and ordered the fan on ebay on feb.10th so that also should be here soon. Anyways about the tick I will let ya know if that did the trick... I have had that ticking noise for about a year.. and I'm really dying to see if that was really the problem.. I'll let ya know by the latest next week if that was what it is.. One thing you could do is get a cro bar and have someone rev the engine in neutral and put the crow bar to the header and put your ear up against the end and see if you can hear that ticking!! Good Luck!!

Did some closer looking and found a loose bolt on the header, the noise seems to be coming from approx. location. I ordered some copper seal gasket, hopefully they will help. I feel much relief now that I don't have to tear into the engine again.

Thanks for the help guys

Help

So I have a big question.... what could this be valve ticking.... could it be a throw out bearing in the transmission. Seems to be coming from the front and is worse under load... squeeking kinda ticking sound.... Could it be something to do with the clutch.....

Never mind.... I just got so livid,, crossed my fingers went out and tried really tightening each header bolt as much as I could.. Started her up, drove it up and down the driveway and the ticking is gone... hopefully it lasts!!!!