Loud Whining Noise, Misfire

lazypony

May 28, 2007
I have a 2002 V6 with about 80,000 miles on it. Just today, I was driving home from school for the weekend (about 200 miles). I made it over 100 miles, pulled off the freeway and parked for about 20 minutes. When I turned the car back on, there was a loud whining noise that changed with engine speed. I thought it was the water pump, but the car is misfiring now. I didn't think the water pump would cause it to misfire that bad. No overheating yet, but once the noise started I didn't take any risks. Towed it the rest of the way, haven't had much of a chance to look at it, but I was hoping maybe someone would have some kind of idea as to what it might be.

• Sponsors (?)

Did the check engine light come on? I highly doubt the whining noise would be from the water pump.The pump wouldn't cause a misfire as it only circulates coolant.

Any smoke from the exhaust or anything leaking ?

Is it possible you could record a sound clip and post it up here? It's hard to say without actually hearing the noise.

Its the camshaft synchronizer. Took off the belt and ran the engine and the noise was still there, and I found someone that had the same problem as me and it turned out to be the cam synchronizer. Makes sense since the noise sounded like it was coming from the water pump and the synchronizer is right behind the pump

How bad is it misfiring? Try this,Unplug the camshaft sensor and then start it up and see if the misfire still occurs.If it's gone after unplugging,it's a bad cam sensor for sure.If not,you have other problems.It will still run without the cam sensor,just a slight throttle lag but runs smooth.It's the crank sensor that it can't run without.My car is the same way.

I actually already did that. tried running it without the sensor and there was no more noise and no noticeable misfire. I called Ford looking for a replacement and right away the guy at the parts department knew my car was making noises, so obviously it's a pretty common problem