Progress Thread Low budget 89 LX build, Car is apart again

It makes sense that they would be. I know I’ve seen people install a Fox k member in a new edge that was 5.0 swapped.

it might be worth it to run the new edge sway bar rather than transferring the Fox brackets over?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

This is great info here. In maryland there are a bunch of cars with grain rail rot really cheap. Guess I'll be cutting some rails out of the new edges at the yard.

My advice to any one going to a Pull-A-Part type junkyard is to trim them down at the yard so you only pay for what you need, they charged me for sheet metal, by the foot. I ended up paying about $80 a side, it would have been a lot less if I had trimmed them down some, but I wasn't sure what I was going to use.

Made just a little bit more progress tonight, I got the A/C lines, drier, and fuel and brake lines moved out of the way and drilled off the sway bar mount.
IMG_20200116_185140996 (1).jpg

No big deal, just drill out the spot welds, there are some on the plate that attaches to the bottom of the rail also.
IMG_20200116_193002327 (1).jpg

IMG_20200116_192941432 (1).jpg

I'm pretty sure my splice will be right in the middle of the sway bar mount area, I'll make it up as I go along. Also, you can see the bracket for the evap canister, that's something else that would have to be transferred if you used the whole rail.

Reactions: 4 users
If you do keep to your budget build you could sell it in the spring if the price is right on what you have in it. If I had the ability to do a cheap paint job and I had a garage I would look for $600 cars . Paint them , sell for $2500-$3000 . I have a lot of energy.

Last edited:
If you do keep to your budget build you could sell it in the spring if the price is right on what you have in it. If I had the ability to do a cheap paint job and I had a garage I would look for $600 cars . Paint them , sell for $2500-$3000 . I have a lot of energy.
I have no problem doing the old buy, fix, flip deal, I've done it several times, no complete paint jobs though, it's too much work, I prefer to buy the ones with mechanical issues. Also, the economy isn't great around here, I try too keep the cars I flip around $1500, anything more than that takes to long to sell.

Most likely, the Mustang will hang around for a while. I've always wanted one of these cars, I had a 1981 Black Magic Capri in High School, but it was a 2.3, I had an 85 LX, but it had a 2.3. I never got my 5.0, then wife, kids, life in general, other toys have come and gone, and I've learned my lesson about letting them go.
If you want to read it, here's the long drawn out story of how I got this car

I've been into Motorcycles for awhile, I never had them growing up, no dirtbikes, or anything like that, I always liked bikes, just never had or rode one. Well not long after my 30th birthday I decided it was time, so I bought an old Yamaha XJ750, got my learners permit and started riding. Fast forward 10 years or so and several different bikes later, I had the orange Sportster Roadster that's hanging out in the background of some of the Mustang pictures. I had done a bunch of trading, It's hard to sell a Motorcycle around here, it's that crappy economy thing, but trading is no problem, so after a few trades this is what I ended up with. I really bonded with this bike, bought lots of extra parts, made several modifications, basically had it set up exactly the way I wanted it. I painted a larger gas tank for it, could have it switched from bar hopper, to road trip ready in less than an hour, I've done several multiple day excursions with it, Tail of the Dragon, Back of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Forum get togethers, basically riding was my hobby.

In June of 2018, I was out riding in S.E. Ohio, a lot of good hilly curvy roads down there, anyway, I was really hitting the curves hard that day, at least as hard as you can on a Sportster, it's not a crotch rocket after all, one of the curves decided to hit back and next thing I know me and the bike are sliding down the road together. Luckily, I didn't really get hurt, just some road rash, the bike was damaged some, but not to bad. I healed pretty quickly, I settled up with my insurance company for just enough that the bike didn't total, I had enough spare parts to put it back together, I think the only thing I had to buy was a mirror, that I won for $1 on eBay. At this point the bike was a wash, the insurance check was more that I had into it because of all of my trading to get the bike in the first place.3 weeks after the wreck, I'm healed, the bike is fixed, and I'm at the Tail of the Dragon for the Xlforum meet-n-greet. I'm invincible, no little slide down the road is gonna keep from riding!

I did another road trip in August of 18, on that trip I decided I wanted a bigger bike to travel on, I didn't want to get rid of the Sportster, just wanted a second bike. So I ended up getting a pretty good deal on a very nice Softail Deluxe, this bike was pristine, the old fella that I bought it from hadn't ridin it much the last few years, but liked to sit out in his garage and polish it. So I made a few changes to this bike, just things to make it mine, and put about 1000 miles on it. On Sept 16, 2018 I set out on an all day ride, leave early in the morning, be home in time for dinner, I've done it a 100 times before, usually no destination in mind, but this day I wanted to return to the scene of my crash, which I did with no Issues. The issue came on the way back home, coming around a blind curve, I find a deer standing in the middle of my lane, of course first reaction is oh :poo: I need to stop. Well that didn't work out in my favor, I didn't hit the deer, but crashed trying to stop, I ended up locking the rear wheel, sliding off the road, got thrown from the bike, broke a bone in my right wrist, tore up my right knee, tore up my left hip. Luckily I never hit my head, no helmet in either of my crashes.

Anyhow, insurance wrote that bike off, good thing too, because I was out of work for 3 months and used that money to pay bills. I had surgery and a cast for my wrist, plus lots of physical therapy for my knee, hip, and wrist.
Well, during my healing I decided I'm done with motorcycles, don't want to ride any more so the Sportster has to go, if I still have it come spring I'm just going to ride it so it has to go now. The insurance already paid for the Sportster after the first wreck, so anything I get out of it is just a bonus. So I end up trading the Sportster for the Mustang, he throws some cash on the deal too, and everyone is happy.

Until the weather got nice, and everybody got their bikes out of storage, and I have to see them ride by, I have to hear them, and I don't have mine, it's gone, forever. I've never had sellers remorse so bad in my life, why did I let it go? I could have kept it, my wife even told me to keep it, but I thought I knew what I was doing. With Mrs Gravydogs blessing, I set out to buy another bike, I even tried to contact Jack, the guy I got the Mustang from to see if he would sell my bike back, I never got a response. I ended up getting a good deal on another Sportster Roadster, but it wasn't my bike. I made some of the changes that I had done to the orange bike, but it wasn't the same. I ended up trading that Sportster for a Fatboy that didn't run, it had been sitting for a while. I did the usual, drain gas, clean carb, change fluids, new battery, fix previous owners mistakes, clean it up and had a good running, decent looking Fatboy. I couldn't stand that bike either, it was just like riding the Softail Deluxe I had crashed on, so it had to go.

So I started looking around for something to trade that bike for and was searching on Craigslist only to find MY Sportster for sale. Now on paper this doesn't look like a good trade, but I don't care, this is my bike, and I want it back! I couldn't dial the phone fast enough, it was Jack on the other end, he had gotten a new phone number, that's why I couldn't get ahold of him when I was bike shopping the first time.

Anyway, Jack likes his Fatboy, I have my Sportster and the Mustang. I still have all the extra parts and accessories for the Sportster, I had kept them originally, I'm not the Road Warrior I used to be, but won't rule it out for the future. I will probably never sell the bike, I don't know about the Mustang yet, but I do know if you like something, keep it, they don't always come back home.

Reactions: 3 users
I have no problem doing the old buy, fix, flip deal, I've done it several times, no complete paint jobs though, it's too much work, I prefer to buy the ones with mechanical issues. Also, the economy isn't great around here, I try too keep the cars I flip around $1500, anything more than that takes to long to sell.

Most likely, the Mustang will hang around for a while. I've always wanted one of these cars, I had a 1981 Black Magic Capri in High School, but it was a 2.3, I had an 85 LX, but it had a 2.3. I never got my 5.0, then wife, kids, life in general, other toys have come and gone, and I've learned my lesson about letting them go.
If you want to read it, here's the long drawn out story of how I got this car

I've been into Motorcycles for awhile, I never had them growing up, no dirtbikes, or anything like that, I always liked bikes, just never had or rode one. Well not long after my 30th birthday I decided it was time, so I bought an old Yamaha XJ750, got my learners permit and started riding. Fast forward 10 years or so and several different bikes later, I had the orange Sportster Roadster that's hanging out in the background of some of the Mustang pictures. I had done a bunch of trading, It's hard to sell a Motorcycle around here, it's that crappy economy thing, but trading is no problem, so after a few trades this is what I ended up with. I really bonded with this bike, bought lots of extra parts, made several modifications, basically had it set up exactly the way I wanted it. I painted a larger gas tank for it, could have it switched from bar hopper, to road trip ready in less than an hour, I've done several multiple day excursions with it, Tail of the Dragon, Back of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Forum get togethers, basically riding was my hobby.

In June of 2018, I was out riding in S.E. Ohio, a lot of good hilly curvy roads down there, anyway, I was really hitting the curves hard that day, at least as hard as you can on a Sportster, it's not a crotch rocket after all, one of the curves decided to hit back and next thing I know me and the bike are sliding down the road together. Luckily, I didn't really get hurt, just some road rash, the bike was damaged some, but not to bad. I healed pretty quickly, I settled up with my insurance company for just enough that the bike didn't total, I had enough spare parts to put it back together, I think the only thing I had to buy was a mirror, that I won for $1 on eBay. At this point the bike was a wash, the insurance check was more that I had into it because of all of my trading to get the bike in the first place.3 weeks after the wreck, I'm healed, the bike is fixed, and I'm at the Tail of the Dragon for the Xlforum meet-n-greet. I'm invincible, no little slide down the road is gonna keep from riding!

I did another road trip in August of 18, on that trip I decided I wanted a bigger bike to travel on, I didn't want to get rid of the Sportster, just wanted a second bike. So I ended up getting a pretty good deal on a very nice Softail Deluxe, this bike was pristine, the old fella that I bought it from hadn't ridin it much the last few years, but liked to sit out in his garage and polish it. So I made a few changes to this bike, just things to make it mine, and put about 1000 miles on it. On Sept 16, 2018 I set out on an all day ride, leave early in the morning, be home in time for dinner, I've done it a 100 times before, usually no destination in mind, but this day I wanted to return to the scene of my crash, which I did with no Issues. The issue came on the way back home, coming around a blind curve, I find a deer standing in the middle of my lane, of course first reaction is oh :poo: I need to stop. Well that didn't work out in my favor, I didn't hit the deer, but crashed trying to stop, I ended up locking the rear wheel, sliding off the road, got thrown from the bike, broke a bone in my right wrist, tore up my right knee, tore up my left hip. Luckily I never hit my head, no helmet in either of my crashes.

Anyhow, insurance wrote that bike off, good thing too, because I was out of work for 3 months and used that money to pay bills. I had surgery and a cast for my wrist, plus lots of physical therapy for my knee, hip, and wrist.
Well, during my healing I decided I'm done with motorcycles, don't want to ride any more so the Sportster has to go, if I still have it come spring I'm just going to ride it so it has to go now. The insurance already paid for the Sportster after the first wreck, so anything I get out of it is just a bonus. So I end up trading the Sportster for the Mustang, he throws some cash on the deal too, and everyone is happy.

Until the weather got nice, and everybody got their bikes out of storage, and I have to see them ride by, I have to hear them, and I don't have mine, it's gone, forever. I've never had sellers remorse so bad in my life, why did I let it go? I could have kept it, my wife even told me to keep it, but I thought I knew what I was doing. With Mrs Gravydogs blessing, I set out to buy another bike, I even tried to contact Jack, the guy I got the Mustang from to see if he would sell my bike back, I never got a response. I ended up getting a good deal on another Sportster Roadster, but it wasn't my bike. I made some of the changes that I had done to the orange bike, but it wasn't the same. I ended up trading that Sportster for a Fatboy that didn't run, it had been sitting for a while. I did the usual, drain gas, clean carb, change fluids, new battery, fix previous owners mistakes, clean it up and had a good running, decent looking Fatboy. I couldn't stand that bike either, it was just like riding the Softail Deluxe I had crashed on, so it had to go.

So I started looking around for something to trade that bike for and was searching on Craigslist only to find MY Sportster for sale. Now on paper this doesn't look like a good trade, but I don't care, this is my bike, and I want it back! I couldn't dial the phone fast enough, it was Jack on the other end, he had gotten a new phone number, that's why I couldn't get ahold of him when I was bike shopping the first time.

Anyway, Jack likes his Fatboy, I have my Sportster and the Mustang. I still have all the extra parts and accessories for the Sportster, I had kept them originally, I'm not the Road Warrior I used to be, but won't rule it out for the future. I will probably never sell the bike, I don't know about the Mustang yet, but I do know if you like something, keep it, they don't always come back home.
Damn, now thats a story!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Well, my son's car project has been put off for another week, we got some snow and freezing rain last night, he lives 2 hrs away and didn't want to make the drive in the bad weather. So what that really means is I got to work on the Mustang today, here we go, there's lots of pics, so this will be several posts.

First, I cleaned off the old paint with a wire wheel so I can find the spot welds, I mark them with a sharpie to help find them when I start drilling.
IMG_20200118_121329601 (1).jpg

Then I took alot of measurements and started laying out where I wanted to cut.
IMG_20200118_121336660 (1).jpg

I decided to cut a small piece of the apron out, it will give me the room I need to get my donor piece in there, I'll weld it back on later
IMG_20200118_123922827 (1).jpg

Did the same thing to the panel between the strut tower and the firewall
IMG_20200118_123949053 (1).jpg

Laying out where to make the cuts
IMG_20200118_131331134 (1).jpg

This part of the rail is made of 2 pieces, the U shapped body, and a top cap. I removed part of the top cap, this way I can insert a sleeve for my rail splice.
IMG_20200118_133949353 (1).jpg

Everything trimmed off
IMG_20200118_141117910 (1).jpg

Side by side
IMG_20200118_141552346 (1).jpg

I removed the top cap from the donor piece too, there is a brace inside the rail for the sway bar mount, we don't need it so it gets removed too, actually my splice is in the middle of the holes.
IMG_20200118_142643519 (1).jpg

This part of the rail, it's behind the strut tower needed about 1/8 inch trimmed off. It was the only size difference I could find between the 2 parts.
IMG_20200118_152200265 (1).jpg

The new piece slides down from the top
IMG_20200118_152632293 (1).jpg

First test fit
IMG_20200118_152944588 (1).jpg

After trimming the strut tower, it's overlapped about an inch, the front part of the rail is a butt joint that will have a sleeve, and the rear part of the rail will be plug welded at the factory spot weld locations.

IMG_20200118_170643418 (1).jpg

The other side
IMG_20200118_170718178 (1).jpg

The sleeve I made for inside the rail, it's just made from a piece of scrap rail.
IMG_20200118_171445596 (1).jpg

At this point, it's ready to weld, it fit's really good considering it's from the wrong car 13 years newer.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users
Before I welded, I took several measurements to make sure everything was where it was supposed to be. The driver side is rusty, but still intact, so I was able to use it to take cross measurements, every thing checked out ok, so it was time to burn it in.

This was the only other fitment issue, it's just a difference in the stamping of the part, it's flush and level at the bottom where it matters, I'll straiten this out with a grinder later.
IMG_20200118_171543043 (1).jpg

All welded in
IMG_20200118_194958181 (1).jpg

Other side
IMG_20200118_194930540 (1).jpg

Well, that's where it's at for now, I still need to weld the apron pieces, and the top cap back on, and clean everything up and put some paint on it. Then I get to do it again on the other side.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 8 users
Before I welded, I took several measurements to make sure everything was where it was supposed to be. The driver side is rusty, but still intact, so I was able to use it to take cross measurements, every thing checked out ok, so it was time to burn it in.

This was the only other fitment issue, it's just a difference in the stamping of the part, it's flush and level at the bottom where it matters, I'll straiten this out with a grinder later.
IMG_20200118_171543043 (1).jpg

All welded in
IMG_20200118_194958181 (1).jpg

Other side
IMG_20200118_194930540 (1).jpg

Well, that's where it's at for now, I still need to weld the apron pieces, and the top cap back on, and clean everything up and put some paint on it. Then I get to do it again on the other side.

Nice man!! It’s work like this that makes me wish I started to learn how to weld years ago!!!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Really impressed at how you got that to fit in there.

I need to do a similar repair on my car. The rust is nowhere as bad as yours but I feel I’ll need to cut into it as much as you did to fix it the way I want to. Helps to see the pics and methodology

I finished welding the other pieces tonight, it still needs some more cleanup before it's ready for paint
IMG_20200121_202043527 (1).jpg

I spent a few minutes working on some thing else, I can only cut grind and weld so much and I get burned out. I snagged this electric fan awhile back, it was just going to get tossed out at work, one of the braces on the shroud is broken, no big deal, but the customers car got a new one. It came off of a 2018 Dodge Challenger, it was just a V6, but a quick Google of the part number says they use the same fan on all of them, even the Hellcat, so it should cool my car just fine.

IMG_20200121_201720160 (1).jpg

Once I cut the factory mounting tabs off, it fits a Fox radiator like it was made for it. It should be pretty easy to fab up a mounting bracket.
IMG_20200121_201954705_HDR (1).jpg

Nice work!!!!! but I noticed you didn't coat the inside with anything before you weld it up... when I did mine, I blasted it to bare, and used por15 inside.... then once it was all together, I used the Eastwood internal frame coating to coat all inside of the frame rails... and I did a lot of coats... don't want it rusting in there no more... in fact I've sprayed a s-ton of that stuff in all of the rails from front to back... and even re-coated it again this year... (figure I would do this every couple of years, just for insurance...)

Last edited: