Low Coolant Light In 88 Gt?

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
Ok, working on getting all the features and options back working in my 88. I see the light in the lower right part of the cluster bezel.
My factory overflow was missing so I'm gathering parts, before I order the expensive sensor..

, was this an option in A 88 gt?

• Sponsors (?)

My 88 GT has a sensor in the overflow tank linked to that light. I think 90-93 had a pair of electrodes but the 88 just has what looks like a rod that floats on the coolant. I've seen the 90-93 sensor on LMR, but I haven't seen a replacement 88 style when I randomly browse for parts.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

From what I'm reading only the 90+ style is made anymore, but they sell the harness that adapts it for 89- use.

This is not huge on my list but I'll get the parts for this at one point

The wiring is actually present on all the 87-93's. The plug is usually found hanging somewhere in that front driver's side corner alone with the fog light wiring pigtails.

On the 90+ cars, I forget which models had the light standard, but the ones that didn't usually just needed the sensor added and plugged in. On the 87-89 cars, you had to add the little light pod to the lower cluster.

I added that pod to my LX, but haven't tried to get all the lights working. The check oil light works on it's own, but to get the low washer fluid light on requires tracking down the rare 87-89 GT washer bottle with the sensor in it.

Sounds like I'm heading the right direction then. I got a gt cluster with the lower lights ( about to swap in a 89 140 gt cluster) and I just found a early year overflow.

Now if I can find a gt washer bottle I'll be happy!

Ok, so found a few parts. Just got the over flow with sensor. Can't make heads or tails out of how it works. It's got s float, and I just don't understand. I can manually trip the light with a jumper. I'd like to test the sensor... Help?

It's either and open close switch, or works of resistance. Either way, set your meter on resistance and test it that way

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I'll check that. I still can't make rime or reason out of it. It's different than the 90-95 ones. It's got a large teardrop float on it, with some kind of contact . Not sure I get how lowering the contact will complete the circuit and turn it on. As much as I need to test it I need to understand it.