Lowering A Arms

Track Rat

Jun 11, 2004
Northridge, CA
Not as easy as it sounds, at least for me. Using a downloaded copy of the template I lined up the holes, center punched the new locations and drilled the new pilot holes checking with the template after every step. Not until I drilled the pilot holes did I screw it up. After they were drilled, I put the template back up and the holes were off. :shrug: A couple pretty drastically.

Does anybody make a metal template 1/8" or 3/16" thick. Cobra Automotive makes one but its for a 1 3/4" drop, not 1". I ask because I am in a possition to make this in mass quantities. Does anybody think that it is a "sellable" item, or am I the only guy how is bad with a drill?

Please let me know what you think. If I hurry, I can have a few thousand done for Christmas!

• Sponsors (?)

have you tried using your upper control arm shaft and the two bolts that are in it that your drilling for as a template?

all I did was take the template found online like most of these that have been circulating past few days then cut out the original holes so u can see where they lined up if they didnt line up push the paper around after taping one side correct and make the other side fit to the other hole correctly then put that shaft assembly up to where that new hole will be and see how good your template is then mine was dead on but if i tried to lay the paper just flat onto the surface and tape it it was off a little so thats why I did it the other way.

hope that helps some if not lemme know ill take some pictures

making those templates in that kinda quanity would only take a few hours locally here but thats with the use of some nice machines ;)

RajunCajun said:
making those templates in that kinda quanity would only take a few hours locally here but thats with the use of some nice machines ;)

I can get them done for pennies in about that time. Its just a 6 to 8 weeks for shipping.

As for the paper template, wouldn't just moving it around to make it fit not give an exeact location of the new holes? Or am I not understanding?

Yea, I just taped my template to tower with all four of the holes cut out using an utility knife. I put the bolts through the existing holes to make sure they fit then sprayed the two new holes with orange spraypaint. When I took the template off I had two orange circles that told me exactly where I needed to drill.

I also used a trick my dad taught me...just drove a nail in the center of the orange circles with a hammer for a few good shots. This helped the drill from dancing around drastically. Keep checking your work as you go along to make sure the holes are where they should be.
Good luck!

I did it with a drill press and the template. I created it with a pretty think piece of stainless steel (had it around) and drilled the holes for the upper arms completly to the 17/32 size. for the new hole location I drilled a very small hole (big enough to drive a punch and/or start a very small drill through.

I had new upper a-arms available so I just used those to measure to make sure the width was correct. from there go get some 17/32 bolts and nuts and bolt it up. either drill or hole punch in the new holes, remove and start working the drill bit sizes bigger and bigger. use the a-arm and hold it up ever now and then to make sure its still lining up.

insert a-arm and enjoy

I went to a local metal seller. They gave me a scrap 12" square chunk of 10 gage cold rolled steel (I made a point of showing up at 4:45 on a Friday). :D

Then I had a template made in our machine shop at my work. I bolted it in and used the template to guide my drill. You could probably make the template on a drill press and get pretty good accuracy. Yeah it's hard to drill accurately inside the shock tower like that. I recommend making or buying a template. If you make your own template and screw it up, at least you can easily start over.

Good luck.

Success!! It's amazing what you can accomplish with the right tools.

Hack- I did just that. I had a buddy make me some templates in his shop. 1/8" steel plates. Drilling the holes with a unibit helped as well.

I can't say the experience was all bad. I learned how to mig weld in the process, but only learned enough to make me dangerous! :nice:

I made mine from 12 gauge steel then drill out the holes 1/2" ones ;)

Then put the steel plate up to the car lined up with the existing holes and welded her up. Then it was for drilling out the new lower holes.

Track Rat said:
Success!! It's amazing what you can accomplish with the right tools.

Hack- I did just that. I had a buddy make me some templates in his shop. 1/8" steel plates. Drilling the holes with a unibit helped as well.

I can't say the experience was all bad. I learned how to mig weld in the process, but only learned enough to make me dangerous! :nice:
Hehe, nice work!

Believe me, I know exactly what you mean about knowing enough to be dangerous! :D