Fox Lx to gt ground effect conversion??? Has anyone done one ?

Brian.5.oh

Aug 16, 2018
Georgia
Ive got an 89 lx gt and where im at the gts are far more expensive and its not an option to just sell my csr snd buy one so long story short im just wondering if maybe anyone has done a conversion is there a cheap way to do it should i buy factory ford parts or just go ahead and get a body kit?

• Sponsors (?)

It can and has been done in the past.

Here is what you need...

GT Front bumper cover and fog light brackets.
Side skirts.
GT rear bumper cover and extensions.
GT door side molding - the indention on the LX is narrower and does not match.
The rear exhaust tips need to be turned down.

The main issue with doing the GT kit is the way Ford secures it to be body is with metal strips riveted to the fenders and unibody. You have to get these strips and put them on in the correct places. I don’t think I would trust mounting tape to hold up.

If you do the Cervinis Cobra kit it looks nice, and you can just get some longer exhaust hangers for the exhaust.

Like said, it can be, and has been done.

Funny that GT's are getting more value where you live. Where I live, it's all about the LX, especially a coupe. If you have a GT, especially a GT convertible and especially, especially a GT convertible automatic...you might as well give it away for free.

Reactions: 2 users
Well i planned to do to cobra rear bumper and cobra terminator front bumper conversion and as well my doesnt have lx tailpipes it dumps underneath with 3” pipes so it seems it may not be so difficult but as of now i plan to buy a gt parts car

I traded for the GT parts (minus the door strips) and wish I had not. The side skirts ended up too wavy to want to use. The front bumper could have been put back on the corners with a heat gun and spatula, but the rear bumper cover had scraped pavement and was cracked under the metal strips. Too much of a project for the results with hard used parts.
BTW, LMR has new strips and screws. You will almost positively want them.due to rust.

I traded for the GT parts (minus the door strips) and wish I had not. The side skirts ended up too wavy to want to use. The front bumper could have been put back on the corners with a heat gun and spatula, but the rear bumper cover had scraped pavement and was cracked under the metal strips. Too much of a project for the results with hard used parts.
BTW, LMR has new strips and screws. You will almost positively want them.due to rust.
Thank you im still curious about their cobra conversion kits if you or anyone knows a thing or 2

Thank you im still curious about their cobra conversion kits if you or anyone knows a thing or 2
Just to clarify, I was going to try to use pre installed, used Ford parts. That is what was wavy, not the new, aftermarket stuff. I wish I had ordered the new body kit. I have not heard complaints about their fit and finish.