Magnaflow exhaust kits for 98 GT

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
My dad wants to get an aftermarket exhaust for his 98 GT. Its completely stock as it sits. I told him to look at the Magnaflow cat-backs... there were two kits on summit, one with a narrow, cylindrical muffler and the other with a standard looking muffler. What are the diffferences between those kits?

Should we look at replacing the cats while we're down there as well?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The narrow muffler is the magnapack, and I would get the magnapack cat-back if he doesn't plan on replacing the midpipe. I think it sounds great with the stock mid pipe.

The other cat-back is the standard magnaflow cat back, and sounds awesome with an o/r mid-pipe or an aftermarket catted mid pipe. Some people will say x-pipe, some will say h-pipe, it's all personal preference.

In my opinion, if he's going to get the catback he might as well replace the midpipe too. You won't likely notice any SOTP difference with a cat back exhaust, but if you change out the midpipe there are some gains to be had. There are 6 cats on a 98 stang and they rob horsepower.

I have the magnaflow catback on my 98, I would pass and get something else. The fitment on the pipes was poor. I tried adjusting it at few different shops and it kept on hitting the rear sway bar. I ended it ripping it all out and going with dumps. I called magnaflow and they said they never hear any complaints. Plus for the price the tips look cheap. Look at pypes.

I have not heard whether or not magnaflows have fitment issues, but I will say that my MAC exhaust fit great and I didn't have any problems with installation... the tips look sweet, too.

Mustang5.jpg

The narrow muffler is the magnapack, and I would get the magnapack cat-back if he doesn't plan on replacing the midpipe. I think it sounds great with the stock mid pipe.

The other cat-back is the standard magnaflow cat back, and sounds awesome with an o/r mid-pipe or an aftermarket catted mid pipe. Some people will say x-pipe, some will say h-pipe, it's all personal preference.

In my opinion, if he's going to get the catback he might as well replace the midpipe too. You won't likely notice any SOTP difference with a cat back exhaust, but if you change out the midpipe there are some gains to be had. There are 6 cats on a 98 stang and they rob horsepower.

Could you recommend a good midpipe? And I guess some decent aftermarket catalytic converters while you're at it?

(i dont' exactly know what the 'midpipe' is... i'm just used to simple classic mustang exhausts lol)

The midpipe goes between the exhaust manifold and the mufflers and contains the catalytic converters. You can buy midpipes with catalytic converters, and you can buy them with out catalytic converters. The midpipes without catalytic converters are referred to as o/r (off-road) midpipes. If you purchase them without catalytic converters you need to disable the rear two oxygen sensors either with a programmer or mil-eliminators (which I dont think they sell anymore, but there is a how to thread on here somewhere with instructions on making them with radioshack components).

Once you've made your mind up on whether or not to buy a catted midpipe or an o/r midpipe you have the choice of getting an x-pipe or an h-pipe. The x-pipe will be raspy and have a mean growl as the rpm's increase. The h-pipe will be a deeper more throaty classic muscle car sound. MAC, Magnaflow, MRT, SLP, Bassani are all good companies to purchase midpipes from. Check out mustangexhaust.com and listen to some of the exhaust clips to get an idea of which combination sounds best to you.

anyone else have those issues with the magnaflows? those are the first bad comments i've heard about them...

i think we're looking for something thats only marginally more aggressive than stock at idle, and starts screaming a bit at WOT. My dad was initially gonna look at flowmasters but (as a guy who owns flows, and likes them, but.... well...) I think he doesn't want something that loud and really doesn't want something that drones/resonates like flows do.

Any suggestions welcome

If you don't want something too aggressive that does not drone, then I would definitely look at a catted mid-pipe with a magnaflow catback, SLP powerflo catback, or the FRPP catback. Assuming the factory catback is in good shape, you could also install a catted midpipe and keep the factory catback. That would make the sound more aggressive but not too obnoxious.

anyone else have those issues with the magnaflows? those are the first bad comments i've heard about them...

i think we're looking for something thats only marginally more aggressive than stock at idle, and starts screaming a bit at WOT. My dad was initially gonna look at flowmasters but (as a guy who owns flows, and likes them, but.... well...) I think he doesn't want something that loud and really doesn't want something that drones/resonates like flows do.

Any suggestions welcome

I have the Magnaflow 15671 catback, the regular one and mine installed fine. You DO have to play with the position of the pipes in order to have it clear everything but this is typical on just about every system I have installed except stock Ford and that is only because the system is mostly all welded together so there is no adjustment.
Most after market systems come in 3 or 4 pieces that slide together so you have to take care when positioning them.
It's possible the person who had problems got a factory defect.
I like the tips and think they look great.

If he wants +1 louder than stock, don't even consider the Magnapacks as they will wake the dead.
I would suggest the regular Magnaflow and leave the H-Pipe alone.
They will be slightly louder at idle, nice and deep during normal driving but will scream at wide open throttle.
They drone a little under load at 2000RPM just like most systems except stock. It's the tamest of the bunch though by far.

You might also consider Steeda/Borla or Bassani.
They are both louder than the regular Magnaflow but not as loud as the packs.

It's just the thing for us older folks :D

I would suggest keeping the stock catback on and replacing the mid pipe with either a o/r X or H pipe. Louder than stock when cruising around but not loud enough to be noticed and screams when going WOT and want to be noticed.

I have the Magnaflow 15671 catback, the regular one and mine installed fine. You DO have to play with the position of the pipes in order to have it clear everything but this is typical on just about every system I have installed except stock Ford and that is only because the system is mostly all welded together so there is no adjustment.
Most after market systems come in 3 or 4 pieces that slide together so you have to take care when positioning them.
It's possible the person who had problems got a factory defect.
I like the tips and think they look great.

If he wants +1 louder than stock, don't even consider the Magnapacks as they will wake the dead.
I would suggest the regular Magnaflow and leave the H-Pipe alone.
They will be slightly louder at idle, nice and deep during normal driving but will scream at wide open throttle.
They drone a little under load at 2000RPM just like most systems except stock. It's the tamest of the bunch though by far.

You might also consider Steeda/Borla or Bassani.
They are both louder than the regular Magnaflow but not as loud as the packs.

It's just the thing for us older folks :D

Thanks for the advice. If it matters, his car is a convertible. Also, does anyone have recommendations for replacement cats? Or do those generally come with the midpipes?

The catalytic converters come with the midpipe.

Sorry to wake this thread from the dead, but does anyone have a part # (or some other search criteria) so that I can find one of those midpipes with cats? I'm not seeing anything like that on summit (I could be looking in the wrong place... I don't see any 'midpipes'... i see a few 'mid x pipes' with cats that I'm assuming are what you mean).

Are these midpipes/mid x-pipes usually direct bolt in affairs or do you have to be more creative? I'm seeing a few SLP and BBK kits that might work, the SLP kit says it requires SLP's headers which I don't think he's gonna go for.

Does the sound change that much with just a catted midpipe?

That main thing my dad needs is new cats... the car has developed a mild hesitation/bogg particularly on the low end and after replacing/checking numerous other sources the cats are next on the list. I'm trying to use the occasion as an excuse to get him an exhaust that will rumble a little more than stock, which, so long as the costs stay down, he's okay with. Matter of fact, he'd probably be okay with it being a fwe notches more aggressive/louder than stock so long as at idle and around town its not waking the dead.

The rest of the exhaust is in good shape as far as we know.

Other things to consider... we are in California, so it has to 50 state legal. Not sure if O/R X pipes etc. will pass. Also, he said he could part with $500-550. More than that gets iffy. If it meets the goals (passes smog, new cats, sounds good) for less, all the better :)

Thanks a ton!

Anyone know if the BBK-1638 catted x-pipe kit bolts up to the stock exhaust manifolds and is 50 state legal? If so, I think I'd go for that. At 380 that gives me some wiggle room to pick up a few nice mufflers.

On that note, any suggestions for performance mufflers that fit the aforementioned sound, smog and fit requirements that go for... ~$75ish each?

Would I need any other piping to complete the kit? Would the stock stuff do it? Any any 2.5" in/2.5" out muffler should work right?

There arent any mid pipes that are california legal. I just have an off road one and swap the stock one back on for my smog checks. Also I have the magnaflow cat back and can say that it is top quality, no rust or clearence problems. The tips arent that great but I have 3.5" rolled tips like bullitts and mach ones.

Get the magnapacks. I've had the Magnaflow catted x-pipe and magnapack catback on my car for about 6 years now and could not be happier.

My friends cannot hear their cars over mine if I go WOT in front of them on the highway.

They have a nice grunt down low, but don't sound hollow and up top they scream unlike anything else.

Oh and they're 50-state legal last I checked. I've passed inspection here in NJ without any problems, over and over again.