Magnetic oil drain plug for 4.6?

kylebgt

Jul 2, 2007
I have heard of people using magnetic oil drain plugs, it is supposed to catch any metal shavings floating around in your engine. Does anybody make one of these for the 4.6?? If you own one, does it work well?

• Sponsors (?)

I've used them for years and they do work at catching "fine" metal particles, most parts stores should have a magnetic drain plug.
another "old timers" trick is to stick a magnet on the bottom of the oil filter to catch junk too:D

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't sure if they were powerful enough to catch anything with the oil flowing.

Mods, feel free to move this into (4.6 talk) I didn't mean to put it into tech.

I've used them for years and they do work at catching "fine" metal particles, most parts stores should have a magnetic drain plug.
another "old timers" trick is to stick a magnet on the bottom of the oil filter to catch junk too:D

This is a good idea..

If you're looking for a REALLY REALLY powerful magnet then find an old computer hard drive.. Tear it all apart and steal the magnets. I have a few and you can seriously injure yourself if you're not careful.. I was holding one in my hand and I got too close to another one that was on my desk.. It flew up and cracked me on the knuckle.. Had a bruise for about a week..

Riley