Maintenance- Save money

brokerdavelhr

Jun 13, 2007
Just saved quite a but by changing my own fuel pump. In the next few days, I will be adjusting my clutch, and next week will be replacing the Idle Air Control valve. If anyone is interested, I can post pictures with detailed directions on how to accomplish these fairly cheap, but necessary maintenance's.
The fuel pump cost me a total of 25$ - 14 for the pump (motorcraft), and the removal tools ($10 at any auto zone). The cheapest the maintenance shop would take was $75. Adjusting the clutch would cost me about the same if not more. So instead, you could accomplish the same thing with a few basic tools, and some time. That's over $150 savings in two basic maintenance's that would have been a little over $250 originally.
Also, if anyone wants a Guinea pig for anything else let me know. I have time coming up, and am having a lot of fun with all this.

:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Only an 02

Just a 2002...same one I had a problem with the cam sensor with earlier, but since then, it has been running great- once I changed the fuel filter that is...once I adjust the clutch and the PCV, it should be running like new.

Adjusting the clutch takes five seconds and is done from the drivers seat. Hopefully there aren't any shops out there that are charging for that!

I've replaced the fuel filter myself, and that's an easy job. I haven't had the pump go out yet, but it doesn't seem to hard to do. You got a pump for $25? They're usually like $120.