Major Hurst Shifter Problem

no_3

Founding Member
Oct 21, 2002
I'm trying to put a hurst shifter on a top loader but the reverse arm on the shifter hits the mount on the gear box. Any one know what to do?

Attachments

• HurstShifter.gif
    HurstShifter.gif
    49.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Sponsors (?)

You've got it "laid back" too far. The shifter body should be vertical. Remove the bottom bolt, and rotate the shifter arm upwards to where the mounting bolts are perpendicular to each other. You DO have the aluminum adapter block behind it , don't you? Can't tell from the pic.

The plate

Here is a shot of the aloy plate perhaps I have mounted it wrong.
Your right though, from what I can remember the shifter should be alot more foward than what I have.

Attachments

• closertrans.gif
    closertrans.gif
    63.3 KB · Views: 144
You have the bottom bolt in the wrong hole. It goes into the hole next to the bottom countersunk screw. Top goes into the top C/S screw. ( but then I'm sure you figured that one out LOL) If you've got the plastic bushings for the shifter rods, I'd recommend ordering the steel ones, they never wear out. Hurst still lists them, you just have to go to their site to get the part #. Summit Racing has em, they just don't list them. :nice:

Hum, your advise made infinate sense until I tried it. The bolts just don't seam to line up any other way, plus they are different sizes. I'm starting to think that I have the wrong instilation kit or that the top loader is of a different year to what I'm supposed to be using.

I just checked the tag on my top loader and it says on the internet that it's from a '72 fairlane (RUG- BF1). I'm tring to put it together with a 351W and then shoehorn it into a 65 Mustang. I have been told that the kit is the same, but I'm starting to wonder.

If you've got a Fairlane ( or is it Torino that year) Toploader tailshaft, you need the install kit for that application, unless they both used the same tailshaft housing. I went on David Kee's site (www.davidkeetoploaders.com) and it doesn't show your tailshaft housing in his Id chart. The difference there would be in the shifter rods if any, I don't think the adapter block would be different. You can email him and he'll know if there's a difference for sure.

I looked at your pics again and from the first one, I can tell you've got a big block style tailhousing, which moves the shifter farther forward than the 65 Stang housings do. You've got the same one I'm using on the Toploader in my 89 Ranger. I swapped a 67-68 390 tailhousing on it just to move the shifter forward. So if you did order one for a 65 Stang, you've got the wrong kit. Either you'll need to swap the housing or get the correct kit for the one you have, but if you do go this route, the shifter will not line up with the shifter hole in your Stang.

Ah, everything looks to be making sense now. I think I'll do a bit of reserch on getting the right tail houseing for a '65. Is it a straight farward swap and are they easy to find for '65?

swapping tail housing is very easy. just the five bolts, maybe a new gasket, and that's it. the shifter mounting block might be different. i seem to remember switching tail housings and using a different mounting block because i had the same problem that you are having. when i first got my toploader it had the bigblock tailshaft housing on it. if you can't find a tailshaft i saw this on ebay this morning, it's not mine. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7973356759&category=33733

pushrod power said:
swapping tail housing is very easy. just the five bolts, maybe a new gasket, and that's it. the shifter mounting block might be different. i seem to remember switching tail housings and using a different mounting block because i had the same problem that you are having. when i first got my toploader it had the bigblock tailshaft housing on it. if you can't find a tailshaft i saw this on ebay this morning, it's not mine. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7973356759&category=33733
Ditto :nice: You can interchange the housings as long as the shafts are the same lengths. Most have one of either these two lengths: 14" or 17" The 17's were used on mostly full size cars like the Galaxies. As for the trans mount, one mount fits both the vertical and horizontal bolt patterns in the tailshaft housings for the 14" housings. The one I have does, it also fits C-4's too.

No, that should fit. The transmounts they make today fit either Stang/Fairlane tailhousing bolt pattern, the trans X-member pattern stayed the same with either small or big block mounts. The Galaxie tail housing, uses a different mount.