Major T-5 Output Shaft Leak

thecerbinator

Jun 18, 2016
Hey guys went through and fixed the broken exhaust on my 89' 2.3 vert and found a major leak in my T-5 by the rear seal. Replaced the seal but still leaks like crazy. Found a groove in the driveshaft and the tail shaft moves around like it has a bad bushing. Haven't done a transmission rebuild before what would you guys recommend? Plan as of now would be to get a replacement driveshaft and replace all of the seals and bushings around the output shaft.
Thanks in advance for all of the help!

• Sponsors (?)

There is a bronze bearing in the trans tail shaft that probably needs replaced. Unfortunately the tail shaft needs to come out. Fairly easy to fix though.
images (2).jpg

You probably need the tail shaft bushing. You don't have to remove the tail shaft, but the tool isn't cheap. Cheap way is to remove the tail shaft, easy way is to spend some cash. Takes about an hour with the tool, though I'm sure I could do it faster next time. You need the bushing, seal, tool and an hour or so under the car. If the driveshaft is mangled, you will need a new driveshaft yoke also (and probably should get a u-joint also). Or, again you can go expensive and get an aluminum driveshaft that already has a new yoke on it.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...hing-on-your-t5-heres-the-tool-to-get.760200/

You prob need a new bushing and yoke.

I believe there is a tool used to replace the bushing without pulling the tailhousing off. I believe it was discussed here not to long ago as well