manual brake questions - anybody got em?

MrKwik

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2000
Kansas City, Kansas
I'm wanting to convert my capri to manual brakes but there doesn't seem to be alot of information out there on this. I know there are a few kits out there but that is even more confusing. The maximum motersports kit comes with the adaptor and pedal with proper geometry and says to use a stock master for a 79 with manual brakes. Makes sence but then they go on to say that manual brakes must not be used without rear discs and upgraded front discs. Well why the hell not?

Then you have other companies that just sell the adaptor and rod and say that you can retain your stock power brake master. So does this work well? I would think that it would work no better than your power brakes work with the engine off, which is not great.

I guess the way I would really like to do it would be to use a stock master from an early manual brake car along with a pedal from the same but as it turns out, those pedals are harder to find than unicorn poop.

So for poeple that have done this, what did you use and how does it work. And FYI, the rest consists of stock rear drums and 87-93 GT spindles, rotors & calipers.

• Sponsors (?)

i just converted my 88. . . i forget the name of the company i bought it from but it was an adapter plate that deleted the brake booster and a new rod that fits like a glove and i still use my old master cylinder. . . i did have to bend some current brake lines though. I think you can get the same kit for 65$ out of summit. It works pretty good. I had to delete my vac assisted brakes due to my cam though

Modular2v said:
i just converted my 88. . . i forget the name of the company i bought it from but it was an adapter plate that deleted the brake booster and a new rod that fits like a glove and i still use my old master cylinder. . . i did have to bend some current brake lines though. I think you can get the same kit for 65$ out of summit. It works pretty good. I had to delete my vac assisted brakes due to my cam though
But does it just feel like the power brakes with the engine off? Seems to me that all those type of kits do is delete the booster but with the stock MC and no change in pedal geometry is the pedal very hard?

MrKwik said:
But does it just feel like the power brakes with the engine off? Seems to me that all those type of kits do is delete the booster but with the stock MC and no change in pedal geometry is the pedal very hard?
It is harder but really not as hard as you think it would be. . . it is definetly bearable!