manual steering conversion

Hey guys!

My car came equipped with p.s., but has since had the pump, lines and cylinder removed. I also tore apart the control valve and cobbled up a setup to sqeeze the ball socket that slides in there, to try and eliminate some slop. I still am not happy with the play in the wheel, and also don't think it's the safest thing in the world.

I've seen power steering control valve delete kits, but these things run like $200!? are there any cheaper alternatives? I don't know if granadas ever came w/o p.s., but if they did I could get a new drag link, right? I'm sure someone has a delete kit on thier stang, so what's my options?

Thanks so much!

-Hoss-

• Sponsors (?)

I may be going out on a limb, but Ill assume the Granada steering box and Mustang box are the same, so just find a manual box. I think the linkage should be just fine by simply removing the power assist ram.

On a different note, if youre looking for a good cheap engine for your Grenade, get a 96+ Explorer/Mountaineer engine (be careful about exhaust/spark plug clearance on 98+), then swap in a stock H.O. cam and a set of 1.7 roller rockers. :nice:

Thanks for the info.

I might consider a 96+ explorer 5.0, except for the fact that i'm using a z-bar on my car and i need the hole. I guess i could get the retro bracket. Are the 96+ blocks the same as the other 5.0 blocks? what's the difference? flywheel balance? I'd need another flywheel too... uggh, looks like more money...

Im not sure if the block has the hole you need, the difference is basically in the heads. They flow much better than the stock late model chokey e7te heads. If you ever want fuel injection, its an awesome intake too. If not, sell it on ebay, its basically a gt-40. Flywheel is standard issue late model 52oz imbalance.