MAP sensor for Wideband Commander?

KBCobra95

Aug 28, 2005
North Carolina
I recently purchased a dynojet wideband commander for my cobra. I was wanting to hook up a wire to monitor my boost gauge, and called the wideband commander company. They said I needed a MAP sensor to accurately measure my boost? How do I go about installing this and what all is involved? Please help!

• Sponsors (?)

I have not done this, so I can help a little.. A MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) measures the boost & converts it to voltage. The voltage then can be sent to the Dyno jet for data logging. You will need to know the out put of the MAP sensor per lbs of boost, 15 psi boost ='s 5 volts or what ever the ratio is.
Hope this helps.

No they had something else I think. YOu can buy a 3bar map sensor for pretty cheap, the problem is controlling it. It's probably just a matter of needing a continuous power supply and reading the output. I'll bet any electronic boost gage has one.

If you post in the Tweecer forums, they know how to run those.

Here http://store.summitracing.com/defau...eywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

Plus I found this on their website . . . seems very simple.

The Wide Band Commander is now capable of reading (2) analog inputs. If you have a unit with a serial number higher than 040604006965, you’ll be able to take advantage of some new features in the latest software release. These units are easily identified by verifying the presence of a yellow wire running along side the orange RPM input wire. Your kit may have included and extra length of yellow wire with a terminal end, this is designed to plug into the 2 pin connecter that houses the orange RPM wire.

The analog channels can be configured to show Throttle Position, Voltage, or User Defined Custom Values. The user defined custom analog input setting is designed to develop transfer functions of voltage vs. output values. Be sure to download the latest tutorials for a demonstration. You can also download the “WBC Sensor Calculator” to automatically generate a custom transfer function for currently supported sensors.

Common uses of the user defined custom setting would be for showing boost or fuel pressure. Let us know if you have data on a sensor that you’d like to use and we’ll add it to the “WBC Sensor Calculator”.

If you would like Dynojet to modify your Wide Band Commander to include the second Analog Input, click here.

A common application would be to add a MAP sensor to monitor boost. We have found that the GM 3 bar MAP sensor works well and is readily available.

12223861 - 3 Bar MAP sensor
15305891 - pigtail harness
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

There are 3 pins on the MAP sensor, labeled ABC (you can buy a pigtail on GM Parts Direct).
A = ground
B = 0-5v output
C = 5v reference

You'll need to find a 5v source, like one found at the TPS sensor, and send it over to pin C. This will provide power to the MAP sensor. You'll want to find a decent ground for pin A, and then pin B will act as a 0-5v output. Since the Wide Band Commander has (2) analog inputs, you can send the signal from pin B to either of these inputs.

The latest software download includes a "sensor calculator". Simply pick the sensor "GM 3 bar", and the appropriate data will come up. When you go into the analog set up in the WBC software, you'll enter this data. Since we all live at different elevations and thus have different absolute pressures, it's advised to get a "zero setting". Set the analog channel that is wired to the MAP sensor to display voltage. With the key on, engine off, record the voltage. This voltage should be entered in the sensor calculator to provide the software a proper zero reference.