March manual belt tensioner, how do you set tension?

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i have had this setup for about a year. i forget exactly what length belt i am running, however its a real bitch to get it over the pulleys. i shorten the tensioner as much as possible and gotta really work to get it all installed. so i know my belt is not too long.

if anyone is familiar with this setup, there is 2 bolts that hold the tensioner. its just a threaded rod with 2 heim ends. the bolt that goes into the timing chain cover snapped off this weekend coming home from racing.

my belt prior to this always had a quick "squeel" at start up. sounded horrible, this was mended by tightening the belt some more. it always seems as the belt kept stretching, requiring more tightening every couple months. so as a rule of thumb, how should i tighten this belt?

i need to see if there is possibly some other issues here if its not my tension method. i just got it all back together and not leaking :)mad:) and its got a consistant chirp noise from the belt being loose now. im not real eager to snap this bolt again.. help me out.

• Sponsors (?)