Serpentine Belt Stretch?

Treachery

Founding Member
Jun 9, 2002
After replacing the air conditioner pulley with the pulley delete and installing a smaller Vortech SQ-trim pulley, i am in between belt sizes.

Goodyear/Continental Belt
4080545 - Fits but when tightening the Vortech tensioner pulley, the belt touch other side of the belt.. A bit too long.
4080535 - Struggle to install . Belt to short.

In between the above to 2 lengths is 4080530. This belt fits ok BUT after installing the belt tensioner, the 4080530 serpentine belt is a little too tight. Ive checked my setup and all is as should.

My question- would it possible to stretch a serpentine belt a little bit without compromising it? If so, how would i do it?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

the serpentine tensioner has a range on it and does not operate the Vortech- it has its own belt which has a fixed tensrioner.
Are you talking about the accessory serpentine belt or the blower belt/

For the accessory serpentine belt- which belt fits and allows the tensioner to stay in the range. Belts are in 1/2" imcrements which fall within the range of the tensioner.

Regarding touching the other belt, I assume you are talking about where the serpentine belt wraps around the water pump pulley which is common. Most guys source a Cobra water pump pulley which is smaller or ASP sells one.

For the blower belt, Anderson sells a tensioner that allows you to tighten up the tensioner as the belt stretches or accomodate for variances in belt length.