Mark8 rear disc on stock 4-lug axles?

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i did some reading, from what i gathered.. the sscb whatever kits are basically mark8 rear brakes, right? they use adapter brackets to position them to retain stock track width?

i want that setup. a guy local to me has mark8 rear brakes for sale. rotor, calipers, brake lines. he said i would only need e-brake cables.

so my question;

1. if i have this right and it works that route. is therre a site/page where i can buy whatever pieces i need/end up missing? part number list?

i plan to do these on the rear, and 12" baer fronts with a 93cobra MC.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure how that works john? But it ya want pull your axles and i'll swap ya rearends. Then i think all you will need is new 4 lug discs?Maybe from a 93 cobra? Text me and LMK peace

john:p

Mark 7 you mean?

The 91-92 Mark 7 brakes....same as used on 1993 cobra R (10.5" vented, 45mm caliper)

93+ Mark 8 brakes will not work (IRS)

84-90 Mark 7 brakes are SVO brakes (11.35" 54mm caliper)

Just be clear about what you are buying. Also, which SSBC kit you referring to?

its 4 lug stuff. so it has to be the 91-92 stuff, svo brakes are 5-lug.

i know its 4-lug. i just want to make sure i can buy parts easily and individually if i get it. cause its not a kit like the $650 LMR stuff.

ok well wtf, i am not familiar with mark 7/8 brakes. he said it will just bolt up.

i saw the kits available, i was trying to save some $$ and buy the majority of it for $100.

can you elaborate on the thunderbird stuff then? or am i better off buying that kit?

Okay, well that SSBC kit is basically a 1993 Cobra brake kit, but with special brackets that allow you to use stock Fox 4-lug axles.

The brackets are the same sold by North Race cars so you could peice your kit together if you bought those.

Whether or not it's a good buy at $100 all depends on what it comes with.

The SSBC kit comes with a Town Car MC I beleive...that doesn't retain the low fluid sensor. I prefer the 1993 cobra MC instead as it will look OEM and retain the sensor function.

what i know (off texts with him) is it includes;

rotors, calipers, mounting brackets, brake lines. he bought it as a "conversion". so it should be good to go minus the e-brake cables.

this all depends to me, upon how easy/cost of the remaining stuff is to get.

I mean technically it's the vast majority of the parts you need, but without me personally seeing the parts and IDing them, i can't really say go for it. I hate to tell you to go for it and then you get parts that won't work for you.

ok, i talked to the seller tonight.

he said its turbo coupe rotors, with "L" shaped offset brackets to use them and keep stock track width. he knew about the custom brackets that are available, but said these are OEM he believed. yet they look real similar he told me. im getting pics tomorrow.

off the top of your head though, is there any OEM bracket that offsets the caliper to use disc and keep stock track width? :shrug: i hope pictures tomorrow will help, but thats all i got for now.

Haha this may be a dumb question but I never knew the answer.. If you want to convert a stock fox to rear discs, do you have to weld plates on for the caliper mounting brackets? Thats how mine is, but after looking at all these kits online none of them have anything that would be welded to the axle for the brackets to bolt to..