mass airflow conversion on a 86 good idea or no?

• Sponsors (?)

a 86 mustang has flat top pistons. Depending on head selection you will have to see what lift cam you can run with trickflow heads on my stock 86 short block I was only able to run .512 lift. I clayed it to check, it will vary motor to motor. Injectors will have to be picked after you decide what to run. 70 mm throttle body is good on NA 302.

a 86 mustang has flat top pistons. Depending on head selection you will have to see what lift cam you can run with trickflow heads on my stock 86 short block I was only able to run .512 lift. I clayed it to check, it will vary motor to motor. Injectors will have to be picked after you decide what to run. 70 mm throttle body is good on NA 302.

you seem like you know your stangs.would it be better to get a internal or external egr intake?

internal where it is cast in to the intake. The casting is better as well. You will need to drill and tap two hole on it. One for the airtemp sensor and one for the coolant line for the egr block. The internal 96 and earlier has the bosses cast into the lower so it is simple to drill and tap and strong. The 97 and up don't and are thinner castings and prone to cracking. Just look for one that says its a 1996 explorer intake. Usualy cost a tad more but not much and worth it.

gt40 intake internal or external egr

was told to keep the egr system.I have no emmisions where I am so was thinkin about removing it.my 86 has the external egr right?.if I do remove it and get a gt40 non egr upper I should be good right and if I do keep the egr then would it be eisier to get a non egr or internal egr upper?

I've always been into chevys so not to familure with fords.first of I want to know if I can keep the lower intake on and what uppers will fit with the stock lower.and is the gt40 lower and upper better then the stock 86 intake?would a aftermarket upper bolt on to the lower intake?thanks

The 86 heads were replaced in 87 because they're "low flow" heads.Ford was trying to please the govt. in terms of less pollution.Go mass air,New heads and intake,they're holdin you back .Watchout which heads you get.There is a prob. with clearance of the pistons i do believe(i'm still doin research on that) I'm in the process of doin my 86' now.Gonna start with mass air conversion 1st.It's all i can afford right now.Been lookin for a harness,comp. ect.

when I swap to MAF would all I need is a 89-93 mustang cumputer and can I use a 89-93 mustang ecu wiring?I know I can get the maf pig tail and the 2 pins that go into the computer but I was wondering if I can use the 89-93 ecu wiring harness instead of splicing any wires for a easy install

stock ho cam is the best cam for the e6 and e7 heads.

good luck fitting the gt40's on the 86 engine..I can nearly gaurantee you they won't fit.

I had two buddies personally try and put e7's on an 86 motor. BOth failed and had ptv clearance issues when they clayed it and had to flycut the pistons.

swap out the entire engine for an explorer motor with the gt40/gt40p heads.

all you need is a 65mm throttle body with gt40 heads...