mass airflow conversion on a 86 good idea or no?

stock ho cam is the best cam for the e6 and e7 heads.

good luck fitting the gt40's on the 86 engine..I can nearly gaurantee you they won't fit.

I had two buddies personally try and put e7's on an 86 motor. BOth failed and had ptv clearance issues when they clayed it and had to flycut the pistons.

swap out the entire engine for an explorer motor with the gt40/gt40p heads.

all you need is a 65mm throttle body with gt40 heads...
the only difference in the motors are the pistons so I see no sense in swapping the whole motor when all I would have to do is change pistons since I dont know the condition of the other moter i would be getting.my bottom end is all brand new

• Sponsors (?)

go ahead and swap pistons...I can swap a motor/trans out in a weekend, perhaps less. Taking one out to swap pistons is gonna take a hell of a lot longer.

I've done 3 explorer gt40 engines and all have turned out fine...just get your motor from an explorer that ran that you can verify and you won't have a problem.

5.0 engines don't really ever go out unless they have 200-250k+

the vss isn't just there for the cc. You can have stalling issues on decel if you don't hook up the vss to the computer.

my bro did, so he went back in and hooked them both up.

when I converted my 86, I hooked them both up right off hand. I was already in there, so running 2 extra wires for the vss and fuel pump were no biggie