Master Cylinder Dry

Dr Jay

Jan 1, 2004
Canada
I'm upgrading the brakes so I pulled my calipers from all four corners and left the lines open. I wanted to do a complete flush of the system so draining the master cylinder didn't sound like a bad thing at the time. Well fast forward to today and although I'm still waiting for my new calipers I have already read lots of threads describing the issues when the MC goes dry. All that said I would like to work a little smarter when the new calipers arrive so can anyone clarify the steps to bleed the MC. I have been using the search button but I have found several different solutions on here.

One said that you need to install two short brake lines on the master and bend them into the MC, then fill the MC and pump until all the air is gone. Others have said just to bleed the two MC valves on the engine side and the worst one yet said your basically screwed when this happens and the car will have to go to the dealer

Can anyone clarify how to proceed from here?

• Sponsors (?)

i havnt done one on a newer car but it might be the same. For older cars i would always bench bleed the master before putting it on and i would do that with a piece of bent brake line curved up and put into the fluid in the master so no air can get it.. then you just pump it till no air comes out of the piece of bent brake line (makes no bubbles in the fluid). I'm not sure that's how your supposed to do it but if you run out of options you could always try it.