Matching Intake Carb Flange To Spacer

Jcmeyer5

Aug 19, 2017
General question. I have a new Weiand single plane intake and a new 1/2" spacer for heat insulation. When I put them together, I noticed that the hole in the spacer is larger than the intake... around 3/16 all the way around. This is a street car, but something like that I am assuming I should have matched? Picture for reference

intake.png

• Sponsors (?)

FWIW, I didn't end up doing this. Not that there is or isn't a benefit, but everything I saw said the benefit was minimal by itself. Also, the machine shop at work had other priorities.

I did grind off some casting flash and imperfections inside the runners. Probably wont do much good either, but hey... its my first "porting" job.

If the carb venturis are very close to the intake flange walls, then the spacer mismatch might impede flow slightly. I doubt it would be enough to feel though.

The biggest benefit from spacers is the increase in plenum volume rather than thermal insulation. Think about the outside of the carb being bathed in hot radiator air all the time and tell me a spacer is going to help with that.